Search for content in message boards

Snead Family Bible - Georgia

Replies: 18

Re: Snead Family Bible - Georgia

Posted: 27 Feb 2004 9:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Snead
Jennifer,

Other than the 1870 and 1880 US Census, I have no information on George Washington SNEAD's son Robert E. SNEAD. One of my other contacts may know more about him. I will check and let you know via e-mail. I will also pass on a list of other researchers looking at this SNEAD branch.

The first part of the mystery regarding G. W. SNEAD's ancestry concerns his natural father, "Unknown" SNEAD, who was married to Dianah Beasley sometime before 1829. They had several children including George Washington SNEAD. "Unknown" SNEAD died sometime around 1838-1839. Dianah then married Absalom SNEAD in Forsyth County, GA in May 1839. Absalom and Dianah had at least 7 children. Legend has it that Absalom and "Unknown" SNEAD were brothers. That they were in fact brothers has yet to be proven to my satisfaction. Many SNEAD researchers have been trying to identify "Unknown" SNEAD for quite some time.

The rest of the mystery regards the connection of these men and their siblings/parents. It is very likely that these SNEAD's came to Georgia from Richmond County, NC along with two other SNEAD men, Samuel S. and Phillip. Samuel S. SNEAD is my likely, though not proven, ggg-grandfather. My theory is that all four of these SNEAD men were brothers and the son of Solomon SNEAD (b ca1766-d after 1836) of Richmond Co., NC. Their history from NC to Georgia and eventually to Cherokee County, AL reveals a definite close relationship among them. I have viewed a substantial number of records, mostly land transactions in NC, GA, and AL, which consistently connect Absalom, Samuel S., and Phillip in all three states. However, to date I am aware of no one who has proven with reasonable certainty that any of these four SNEAD men were in fact brothers or that any were sons of Solomon.

One more bit of information regarding G. W. and R. E. SNEAD. G. W. was a Confederate veteran and lived for some years in the Confederate Soldiers' Home of Georgia in Atlanta. Part of his record at the home states the following:
"Date of this Record: Nov. 13, 1902
Remarks: In case of death, notify W. T and R. E. Snead, South Jackson St.; Atlanta, Ga. The above are sons and he leaves all in their hands."

I have looked at the 1900 Census, and W. T. (William Thomas) SNEAD was living at the address shown above. No R. E. or Robert SNEAD was living with him at the time. I have done no serious search for Robert in the 1900 Census.

The Bible your are seeking could very well provide some information which might shed light on these connections. I will contact you via e-mail to discuss in more detail the information that I have collected.

Ken
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jhensley132 18 Feb 2004 5:21AM GMT 
robertabutler... 26 Feb 2004 3:34PM GMT 
Jennifer Hensley 26 Feb 2004 4:39PM GMT 
robertabutler... 26 Feb 2004 8:15PM GMT 
Jennifer Hensley 26 Feb 2004 9:48PM GMT 
snead46 27 Feb 2004 1:46PM GMT 
Jennifer Hensley 27 Feb 2004 3:07PM GMT 
snead46 27 Feb 2004 4:41PM GMT 
Jennifer Hensley 27 Feb 2004 5:45PM GMT 
jhensley132 28 Apr 2004 8:47PM GMT