Search for content in message boards

Capt. Ephraim Snow, Rockland, Maine (1808-1892)

Replies: 0

Capt. Ephraim Snow, Rockland, Maine (1808-1892)

Posted: 23 Nov 2010 5:21PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: Snow, Hayden, Tighe, Vose, Parshley
I have no connection to this family. This appeared in the Sept. 10, 1892 issue of the Rockland (Maine) Tribune:

"An Old Citizen Dies.

About 3 o’clock last Sunday morning Ephraim Snow died, very suddenly. He had been in his usual health, and gone to bed in good spirits. A physician who was summoned pronounced it neuralgia of the heart.

Mr. Snow was one of Rockland’s best known citizens. He was born in South Thomaston, son of Isaac and Ruth (Hayden) Snow. his life was varied, its early years being devoted to the sea, and later was in trade in this city, engaging in lime-burning and ship-building. At other periods he was in business in New Orleans and California. He married Hannah Pillsbury in 1833, and she survives him. Their children living are Frances (Mrs. Francis Tighe) and Commander A. Sydney Snow, late of the steamship Essex, U.S. Navy, now at home on shore duty. The other children were Capt. Arthur, lost at sea in 1876; Adelaide F., who married Z. Pope Vose, died in 1872; Laura, who died in childhood.

Mr. Snow was a man of surprising vigor, being daily about, even at his age of nearly 85 years, with strength seemingly little impaired. In recent years his sight had failed, but his mind was bright and clear, and he took the utmost interest in passing events, particularly in politics, in which he was an ardent Republican.

The funeral was held Tuesday, Rev. J.H. Parshley officiating.

A correspondent of The Tribune (R.M.P.) writes:

Mr. Snow is the last of the Snows of his generation (which I knew from my childhood) except, I think, Maria of this city, and Caroline. I was as well acquainted with them as I was with my own family, my father having worked for nearly, if not all of them. They were all smart, business merchants and sea captains. They owned some of the first kilns and wharves built at the shore village. I will try to give you their names. They were: Ephraim, Harvey G., Elisha, Luther, Israel, Larkin, Charles, Alex, Edwin, George. I remember them as very active business men who had not a little to do with laying the foundations of the present city of Rockland. But they are all gone. These men are not only all dead, but in some instances the whole family is also dead; notably, that of Alexander M. Ere this shall have reached the eyes of your readers the sods of the valley will have covered from our sight the earthly remains of the last of the Rockland Snows whom the writer knew from his youth up."

I have done a bit more digging on this and found that Capt. Snow died Sept. 4, 1892 in Rockland. His father, Isaac Snow was born in South Thomaston and his mother, Ruth (Hayden) Snow was born in Scituate, Mass.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions