Search for content in message boards

Searching for descendants of William S Speer

Replies: 0

Searching for descendants of William S Speer

Posted: 26 Apr 2013 7:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hale Heale
Hi,
regarding William S. Speer, 1822-1915 who wrote "Sketches of Prominent Tennesseans".
William wrote of my family that we are of Scottish origins. I think that was in error, but I wondered if descendant family members might have or know if William kept original notes for his book. I wondered if his notes might indicate who it was that he interviewed to determine that my family is Scottish. This is in regard to Philip Hale.
http://books.google.com/books?id=UsVGPmfzJRYC&printsec=f...

Philip married Catherine Douglas who was certainly Scottish. His brother Smith Hale married Catherine's sister Elizabeth Douglas. But that doesn't mean that Philip Hale and ancestors were Scottish. However, dna tests point to my line being from northern England, Scotland or Ireland with emphasis on Scotland. So it's entirely possible that word was passed down through successive generations that our Nicholas Heale or his supposed father George were originally from Scotland. I don't think that is the case. I think William somehow ended up with incorrect information as a results of the relationship with our Douglas line. But it's possible that he did indeed ask one of Philip Hale's sons who may have known or thought that the Hales/Heales were Scottish.

Any Speer descendants might know of original notes for his book?

Thanks for any assistance.

Jeff Hale
jeffhale2@comcast.net

Find a board about a specific topic