Search for content in message boards

SPRINGER DNA Report

Replies: 4

SPRINGER DNA Report

Posted: 13 May 2006 7:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: NJ SPRINGER and SC SPRINGER Descendent
Hello from Melissa :)

I know I have been pretty quiet lately, Real life has hit me square in the face and cut down immensely on my computer time. I do have a couple/three things to go over with all of you.

First, in case you aren't aware, FTDNA is now offering an extended set of Y-STR DNA markers. AGH! I can hear you all moaning now. This isn't something everyone needs to run out and do. I ordered it for my dad's markers because... why not. It was staring at me so I did. I would like to ask that if you are in my 'Group C', maybe we could get one person from the North, and one from the South, to expand, if you would consider it. Or even just one of you. I could help out with it. If you are curious how the matches play out all the way to 59 markers but you don't want to pay for the whole test, and don't really care whose testing gets expanded, you could donate just a bit for that specific purpose. If you are interested, please email me directly. I know, I always seem to be begging :)

Next. You all know I have been trying and trying to sort out the family lines that are descended from Christopher Springer, you know, the one who lived in Sweden? Whose son Charles was 'misdirected' to Delaware? Well, we do have two seemingly likely candidates already tested, and one with 12 markers due any day in Batch 147 at FTDNA. The first 2 kits that have already tested out to 37 markers do show a probable connection. One has his line going back to Lars/Lorentz Springer of Sweden. This gentleman does live in Sweden, and is a cousin to Christian Andersson, a well known Springer descendent. The second one is from PA and has his line back to the c. mid 1850s with possible ties to MD. The third one, in Batch 147, is in a line that has been well documented and is represented by at least one tree on Ancestry, namely this one:

http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=caccia...

If the third kit does match 12/12 with the other two (who are 34/37), we will be expanding it out, I hope, to see if the match holds out. If anyone has any ideas or theories about this, please let me know. Christian was one of the first SPRINGERs whose posts I read when I first got online. Before I ever even heard about DNA testing for genealogical purposes, he was claiming he was a descendent of Christopher Springer. Christian could not DNA test for us as he does not have a direct male lineage. Strange, now we have an American male SPRINGER... whose 37 marker test shows a probable relationship with Christian's Swedish cousin. Hmm... Come on Batch 147!

Finally, if you have seen a line that you think should be included in our 'study', please let Dave Springer and I know. Possibly we can help track down an eligible male to test and do some contacting. I am not above phoning total strangers sometimes LOL. Well, my DH should be home from town any minute and I still have dishes to do. Aren't you glad for that :)

Hope everyone is well!

take care,

melissa springer robards
Co-Administrator of the SPRINGER DNA project at FTDNA

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Melissa_Robar... 14 May 2006 1:55AM GMT 
radioinst 10 Jun 2008 12:10AM GMT 
angirene 18 Mar 2011 1:42AM GMT 
Melissa_Robar... 18 Mar 2011 8:16AM GMT 
spri6061 3 Dec 2012 3:27AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic