Search for content in message boards

General Arthur St Clair and Pittsburgh

Replies: 2

General Arthur St Clair and Pittsburgh

Posted: 13 Jun 2011 4:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Since I have Sinclair family members involved with and buried with my family in Pittsburgh, I decided to do more research in General Arthur St Clair.

My research started with Samuel Sinclair Jr married to Elizabeth McKee. They are buried at Versailles Cemetery in McKeesport which is just east of Pittsburgh. Clairton PA was named after Samuel Sinclair Sr.

I have collected all the records of General Arthur St Clair the Heinz History Center had including records of his reinternment in 1913 in Greensburg PA. I also found DAR records of General Arthur St Clair. The family of General Lew Wallace, who wrote the book Ben Hur, claims a connection to the St Clairs throught General Arthur St Clair's service record.

More Pittsburgh Records suggest Col John Gibson, the commander of Fort Pitt in Pittsburgh, grandmother was Anne St Clair the great aunt to General Arthur St Clair. They lived in Lancaster PA in the early 1700's. Col Gibson is buried at Sec 2 lots 1 and 2 at Allegheny Cemetery with his daughter Anne Gibson and her husband George Wallace.

Col John Gibson was married to Chief Logan's sister who was killed at the Yellow Creek Incident.

So the names I am researching are well recorded to be connected to that incident which touched of the Dunmore War.

The names are Dunmore, Lewis, Gibson, Logan, Greathouse, Myers, Crawford, McKnight, Morgan, Mckee and Girty. Many of these families are buried at Allegheny Cemetery in Pittsburgh or Versailles Cemetery in Mckeesport. I am also doing research at the Chief Logan Monument at Ft Hill Cemetery in Auburn NY.

I would like to talk to anyone who thinks they might related to General Arthur St Clair or Chief Logan or Chief Joseph Brant.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
photo66666 13 Jun 2011 10:51AM GMT 
JerryStClair1... 5 Nov 2012 5:23PM GMT 
photo66666 5 Nov 2012 5:58PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions