Search for content in message boards

Dead end with John Starr/Stoehr from Ohio

Replies: 1

Dead end with John Starr/Stoehr from Ohio

Posted: 4 Apr 2011 10:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Starr, Stoehr
I have hit a dead end with my 3rd & 4th great grandfather and really want to figure out their story.
My 4th great grandfather is John Stoehr, his wife on the 1860 census in Ursula (in 1870 it says Urshelin). He was born around 1801 and his wife 1810 in Germany.
They had one son also named John E. who was born about 1843 in Württemberger Hof, Schwabisch Hall, Baden-Württemberg, Germany.

In the 1860 and 1870 census for the father they live in Cleveland, Ohio. After 1870 I cannot find anything. I found a passenger list from Germany to France then to the US and everything matches up except for their son, it has a daughter on there instead so I don't know if it's a mistake or if it's not them.

Their son John E. Jr. was only on the 1860 census with them and then in 1870 was in Akron, OH with his wife Mary Hackathorn and 2 sons.

A side note, my grandma always thought that John Jr. died in the Civil War she even had a discharge paper she got from somewhere but couldn't remember from who. Turns out John had his kids after the civil war was over and he wasn't even in the civil war, a man by the name of John Seitz took his name as an alas. John Seitz was born in Ohio but died in NJ. but probably knew John Jr. somehow.

So anyways, in the 1870 census his name is changed to Starr. Their sons are John Edward (born 1867) and Edward (1870). In 1880 Mary is back in Cleveland as a servant and listed as "widowed". The story goes that she put her sons in an orphanage but paid them to keep them and not adopt them out (probably since she was a servant). The orphanage (might be in Cleveland, don't know) adopted at least John Edward out to a family. I do not know what happened to Edward, and am interested to know more info on him. She found out where John Edward was and met the family and liked them, she was sick and thought they could take better care of him. She got better and we have pictures of John with his mother. Before John got married he wanted to honor the family by taking their last name. He changed his name to Parke. On his death certificate it says Albert Parke as a father and Mary Hackathorn as his mother.

I believe the family who adopted him was from Mecca, OH and when he got married he moved to Trumbull. I'd like info on his adopted family but it's not a really big deal at the moment. I don't need anymore info really on John Parke, I have info and pictures so I'm good. I just really want to know what happened to John Starr and John & Ursula Stoehr. If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it! Sorry this is a bit long but I wanted to give out as much info to help research as possible.

I did find a death record for a John Starr in Akron that was born in 1843 and died in 1906 but I've heard that there were a lot of Starrs in the area at the time, so I don't know if that's the right person. He might have left Mary and she just said he died, but who knows.

Thanks!
Megan
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
tenngirl03 5 Apr 2011 4:48AM GMT 
GableA2012 8 Mar 2013 5:57AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions