Search for content in message boards

Josiah & Lydia STEWART

Replies: 12

Re: Josiah & Lydia STEWART

Posted: 8 Jul 2013 2:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
I've seen it spelled both ways - Ashville and Ashwell and since people spelled phonetically both are probably right :-)

He married Ellen Hodges (21) dau of Zylphia Hodges on 26 Sep 1866 (certificate #21117) in Norfolk County. He was listed as Ashwell 25, single.

The 1871 marriage in Camden County also listed him as Ashwell.

On 30 Dec 1883 he (as Ashwell) married Fanny Barco, the 34 year old widowed dau of Jordan and Frances Creekmur according to their Princess Anne County marriage record. This would make her the widow of William T. Barco who she married 18 July 1872 in Princess Anne County.

Of course all the certificates were completed by the clerks not the groom

Other than my Norfolk County and Overton interest, in the 1870 census when he was living in South Mills with William H. Abbott and family he was living next door to Charles and Charlotte (Overton) Whitehurst - my ancestors.

I've seen the Whitehurst possibility for Arthur's wife before, but never with anything amounting to proof. Since there was also Amelia Abbott age 12 and Henry Bray age 60 in the household in Pasquotank County in 1850 I'd be more inclined to believe her to be a Bray previously married to an Abbott....but again supposition, not proof.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LiBray87 8 Jul 2013 7:09PM GMT 
reagable 8 Jul 2013 8:37PM GMT 
LiBray87 17 Jul 2013 3:59PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions