Search for content in message boards

Stewart in Loudoun Co. Virginia

Replies: 4

Re: Stewart in Loudoun Co. Virginia

Posted: 28 Jun 2014 2:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
I can't find the post where I mentioned Flora. So, some of this may be things that I have already posted, or that you already know.

Yes, Flora was Norman and Annie's daughter. Flora was married 16 June 1897 (Loudoun) to Reuben Winston. Flora (b. 10 Aug, 1880) died in her home in a kitchen fire, 10 Oct. 1939. She is buried at Olive Branch Baptist Church, Haymarket, Va (my family's church).

Other Stewarts are buried there too, or under the name Washington because of Flora's sister Lena (Norman/Annie's daughter) who married Arthur Washington, (they were living with Annie (widowed) in 1910 Loudoun). I mostly know Stewarts to be buried at Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church in Aldie, Va, though.

I have Norman and Annie's kids listed as Flora, Robert Lewis, Annie, Sandy, William, Frederick, Daisey, Richard, Levinia, and Lena.

Norman, 21 and Annie, 18 were married 13 Feb 1867 Loudoun.

In the book Loudoun Discovered it says that Norman Preston Stewart and Angeline "Annie" Bryant bought 9 acres of flood plain for $5 from Cuthbert "Cut" Rogers on Dec. 15, 1881 (Norman and Annie lived with him in the 1870 Loudoun census). After a flood in 1889, they sold it and moved to the Landmark country of Fauquier, Co., VA. It also says that Norman came to Loudoun as a slave with his father Ashby Stewart.

In another part of the book about the Stewartown part of Aldie, it talks about how Stewartown is named after Norman and Annie's son Charles "Uncle Charlie" Stewart, and how the Stewarts now there are his descendants. It says that Charles came back to the mountain in 1927. It says how he bottomed and caned chairs, dug ditches, and sharecropped. It lists his descendants including Rev. James M. Stewart (pastor of Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church). It also talks about the singing groups formed at the church. The Stewart Singers in the 1950's and James Stewart Faith Gospel Singers (James Jr.) in the 1970's which traveled to Washington, New York and the Bluemount Concert Series.

There is also a Phillip Stewart mentioned as "colored" who bought land there in 1868. I don't know how he is connected.

I don't have much more about Norman and Annie themselves except for census info, but I have been collecting information on their descendants, such as obituaries.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
stephaniesds 4 Jul 2008 11:45PM GMT 
bkplus351 26 Jun 2014 5:35PM GMT 
stephaniesds 26 Jun 2014 11:29PM GMT 
bkplus351 27 Jun 2014 4:51PM GMT 
stephaniesds 28 Jun 2014 8:05PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions