Search for content in message boards

Wyatt Stewart (Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky, Ilin.), born about 1835 in VA to Rebecca. Looking for name of father and background.

Replies: 0

Wyatt Stewart (Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky, Ilin.), born about 1835 in VA to Rebecca. Looking for name of father and background.

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 9:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Nov 2012 8:07PM GMT
Surnames: Stewart,Steward, Finley,Hanley, Wilson
I am trying desperately to find information on my great-grandfather Wyatt Stewart. Wyatt was born in Virginia (don't know the city), but was living in Warren County, Ohio according to the 1850 census and was 17 years old. It is possible he was a slave in Virginia. His mother was black and he and his siblings are listed as "mulatto" or "white" on early censuses, then "black" on later ones. Wyatt became a school teacher and taught in Ohio, Louisville and Maysville, Kentucky, and Illinois. He was the principal and teacher at one of 2 "colored" schools in Louisville around 1873. Wyatt was married twice as far as I can tell. First to Mary, then to my great-grandmother, Sarah Finley or Hanley. Wyatt had 9 children with Mary. They were "Sylvanus", "Laura", "Mary", "Charles", "Hannah",
"Sarah", "James", "Lillian", and "Ella". Wyatt and Sarah had 5 children: "James W.", "Alberta" (my grandmother - she married Herman Richard Wilson of Louisville, Kentucky), "Rebecca", "Wyatt", and "Bessie". Wyatt Stewart is mentioned in a book titled: "A century of negro education in Louisville", written by George Dewey Wilson and published in 1898. Any help with ancestors is greatly appreciated.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions