Search for content in message boards

Sarah Stewart (b. 1805) married to John B. Nickey (b. 1810); who are they?

Replies: 0

Sarah Stewart (b. 1805) married to John B. Nickey (b. 1810); who are they?

Posted: 29 May 2013 10:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stewart Nickey Black Weldon Swisher Patton Thomas
Hello,

DISCUSSION: The "History of that part of the Susquehanna and Juniata valleys, embraced in the counties of Mifflin, Juniata, Perry, Union and Snyder, in the commonwealth of Pennsylvania" (available by a Google Search) indicates that Sarah and John were married. The below paragraph on Sarah and John is taken from the document.

"The land on which John Weldon now lives was in possession of John Stewart, who came from Carlisle over ninety years ago. He was in the War of the Revolution. The children of John Stewart were Jane, who married Thomas Black and settled at Duncannon; Sarah, who became the wife of John B. Nickey of Penn's Valley; Richiird Stewart, who settled at Clark's Ferry; William J. Stewart, of Duncannon. His son, Livingston Stewart, who settled near Duncannon, was a son by his second wife. His daughter Susan married John Weldon, and now resides on the old Stewart homestead. Ellen, another daughter of Livingston, married Peter Swisher, and lives near Duncainion. Sannii'l Potter and Andrew Pennell settled in the east part of the township soon after 1820. The latter is still living."

John B. Nickey is probably of the second generation of native-born Nickey's and could be significant in early linkage of my ancestors. My knowledge of Stewart's is inadequate to determine Sarah's generation. I have located what I believe is their 1850 and 1870 U.S. Census. Using the Census data John was probably born about 1810 and Mary about 1805. Both were most likely buried in West Kishacoquillas Presbyterian Cemetery, Kishacoquillas, Mifflin County, Pennsylvania (Pennsylvania, Church and Town Records, 1708-1985). If my efforts are correct I have identified two children: (1) Harriett L. Nickey (19 Feb 1830 - 18 Aug 1893) married to Mathew R. Patton (2 May 1814 - 11 Apr 1897); both buried in Old Presbyterian Cemetery, Belleville, Mifflin Co., Pennsylvania, and (2) William S. Nickey (1838 - 1881) married to Elizabeth Thomas (abt 1838 - abt 1882); burial sites are unknown. William and Elizabeth have four children and all but one is married before 1880 (U.S. Census).

PROBLEM: I lack information on: (1) who are the parents of John B. Nickey, (2) mother of Sarah Stewart, (3) their marriage date (est. 1837), and (4) other descriptive information, etc.

I'm doing geology research on George Niecke's direct (Nickey surname) descendants and their spouses. I currently have linked 1,647 individuals that fit this criterion. I am willing to share all or any of my database. Please help; even the smallest bit of information could be useful. I can be contacted on this message board or at Sewbee2@aol.com.

Best wishes, Brad (Bradley Baer Nickey)

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions