Search for content in message boards

James Stewart-African American born 1906 in Alabama/family lived at St. Nicholas Avenue, NYC 1943

Replies: 0

James Stewart-African American born 1906 in Alabama/family lived at St. Nicholas Avenue, NYC 1943

Posted: 8 Nov 2013 10:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stewart
Hello all,

I am writing to the group because James Stewart's WWII dog tag was found and I am attempting to help the person who found it in Oswego, NY to return it to Mr. Stewart's next of kin. According to his Army Enlistment record, he was born in Alabama in 1906, was drafted into the Army in 1943 from New York City, New York, where he was residing at the time. He is listed as African American, single, with dependents, grammar school education, skilled teamsters-occupation. The dog tag was found by J. Dehm in his late uncle's belongings in Oswego, NY. He has no idea how his uncle may have known James Stewart and never heard him talk about him. He wants to give it back to the family of Mr. Stewart. There is NO CHARGE whatsoever for the return of this item, not even postage.

The finder asked for my research assistance because I have a non-profit WWII research group called Angelo's Angels. We volunteer our time helping the finders of lost dog tags return them to veterans/families, completely free of charge. Please visit www.ww2tags.org to read more about the project and my great-uncle Angelo, whom the project is named after. If you are related or can help me search for his family or provide further clues, ***please email me directly*** at dogtag73@gmail.com. This is my aunt's account and she lets me borrow it for my research, so I do not get message board reply notifications via email.

Info on the tag lists his serial number, no Tetanus shot (so he may never have been deployed overseas), and next of kin info. Next of kin is listed as Mrs. C. Stewart of St. Nicholas Avenue, New York City, NY. I did a keyword search for St. Nicholas Avenue and found out that a lot of African American Stewart families from the Brittish West Indies (Jamaica and Barbados mainly) lived on St. Nicholas Avenue in the 30's and 40's, so it's a good bet that he was related to at least some of those Stewarts and that his family is from the West Indies. Any help in locating closest next of kin would be greatly appreciated. I've attached a photo of the dog tag. Sincerely,

Francesca Cumero
Founder of Angelo's Angels WWII Dog Tag Return Project
Attachments:

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions