Search for content in message boards

William Stiles/Bill Chadwell

Replies: 3

William Stiles/Bill Chadwell

Rose Tolliver (View posts)
Posted: 2 Nov 2004 2:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stiles/Chadwell/Younger/Pitts
I was looking up the Legend of Jesse James because my father had made reference to us kids that we were related to the famous gun slinger. However I have found that not to be the total truth. In the Legend of Jesse James taken from the web site The outlaws.com I came across Jesse James and printed it off and read the contents. In this short biography it mentions Bill Chadwell Alias William Stiles. Here is a short exerpt of what is wrote.

The Robbery which did more than any other to cripple the James Gang occured on the morning of September 7th, 1876. The First National Bank at Northfield Minnesota was located on the south end of a building on the corner of Division Street and Bridge Square. Besides Frank and Jesse, the other members of the gang were Cole, Jim, and Bob Younger, Clell Miller, Bill Chadwell (alias William Stiles) and Charlie Pitts (Alias Samuel Wells). It did not go well from the start. Arriving in the town in two groups, the first group consisting of Bob Younger and Charlie Pitts, who were suppose to be posing as loafers while waiting for the others to show up, became impatient. When they spotted Cole Younger and Clell Miller riding down the street, they entered the bank prematurely before the others could get set. Cole and Miller had to hurry to catch up, and it aroused the suspicions of nearby buisnessmen, who sounded the alarm. In the shooting melee which followed, both Miller and Chadwell were shot dead in the street, and Bob and Cole Younger were wounded. The Youngers and Pitts rode out of town in one directions and the James brothers in another. They left without collecting any money.

Anyway as I said before I got that information from www.theoutlaws.com/outlaws6b.htm
God BLess You
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Rose Tolliver 2 Nov 2004 9:17PM GMT 
lisah50313 1 Apr 2007 5:36AM GMT 
lisah50313 1 Apr 2007 5:39AM GMT 
kristysutter1 25 Oct 2010 3:12PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic