Search for content in message boards

Stobaugh of Missouri

Replies: 2

Stobaugh of Missouri

Posted: 28 May 2010 9:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, I'm looking for help with a William Stobaugh born St Louis, Missouri, parents James A Stobaugh and Elizabeth. He had sisters Mattie and Caroline. James A Stobaugh was born in Kentucky and Elizabeth was his second wife, first wife was Sarah and they had Priscilla Frances, Melissa and James H Stobaugh. James H married Cecilia Howenstein. Priscilla married a Houk and this couple ran a grocery store in Missouri. William Stobaugh married Eliza J Willis in March 1896 and they had a daughter Sedalia. I cannot find any records of William and Eliza in the census after 1880, although both were living in Sandywood, Scott county, Missouri both in the 1880 census and at the time of their marriage. I have found a death record for William in the MO archives. He died in 1954 and was widowed before this. His parents are listed as Jim Stobaugh and Elizabeth (the surname for Elizabeth looks like Gorde but many people have this Elizabeth's surname as Cline so am not sure of her surname. His birth date was given on the death certificate as 16 Sept 1873. I would love to hear from anyone who has more information, particularly if William had any more children. His daughter Sedalia married Ed Guthrie and they had 5 children, Charles, Alma, Geneva, Billie and Grover. Geneva died in 1927 after her clothing caught fire, and in 1928 Ed died from Tuberculosis. The children were put in a childrens home in St Louis when Ed first got sick apart from the youngest, Grover, as he was still being fed by mother. After Ed died, Sedalia took Grover to the children's home and found work in St Louis to be near her children and spent all her free time and money on the children until she too got sick from TB and she died May 1931 so children were put up for adoption as the childrens home didn't get a reply from telegrams they sent to find relatives for Sedalia. All the boys were adopted but Alma grew up in the children's home and after a time Sedalia's aunt wrote to the home. The aunt was her mother's sister, a Rosa Morrow nee Willis. A lot of the old records are sealed under MO adoption laws which has made it very difficult to find information, but I am hoping someone out there has something that may help.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
soozayn 28 May 2010 3:57PM GMT 
Lauriespurcel... 18 Sep 2010 4:22AM GMT 
Lauriespurcel... 20 Sep 2010 10:39PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions