Search for content in message boards

James Stone of Surry / Stokes Co. N.C.

Replies: 1

Re: James Stone of Surry / Stokes Co. N.C.

Posted: 24 Jul 2006 12:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: STONE, BARNER
I too am related to James Stone. Here is my research to date. I'd love to share information!

Terry

1790, Stokes Co, NC
John Stone 1 2 1 - - 4 (Free White Males: 1 16+ and 2 < 16; Free White Females 1, for a total of 4)

Stokes Co, NC Tax List 1790, by Iris Mosley Harvey
Stone: John (p. 16, Cap't Hill's District, 200 acres land and 1 white poll
p. 22, Cap't Hill's District, 100 acres land and 1 white poll)

Stokes Co, NC Tax List 1791, by Iris Mosley Harvey
Stone: John (p. 21, Cap't Hughlette's District, 100 acres land and 1 white poll)

Stokes Co, NC Tax List 1792, by Iris Mosley Harvey
Stone: John (p. 21, Cap't Vest's District, 230 acres land and 1 white poll)

Stokes Co, NC Land Entrys 1790-1798, by Dr. A.B. Pruitt
p. 10
page 31, 122. Wt. Granted. Aug 16, 1792 William Hughlett enters 50 ac in Stokes Co on Gladdins Cr; border: Isaiah Gymon, conditional line between John Stone sr & Samuel Prather, & runs up said creek; includes said Prather's Improvement.

Stokes Co, NC Deed Abstracts, Book 2 (1793-1797), Abstracted, Compiled & Indexed by Mrs. W.O. Absher
p. 6
35 24 Nov 1792 John Stone, Surry Co to Moses Barrow, Stokes 50 pds 250 ac middle fork Bloose (sic) Ck adj Andrew Hannah & James Gammell. Acknd s/John Stone

Stokes Co, NC Tax List 1793, by Iris Mosley Harvey
Stone: John (p. 18, Cap't Vest's District, 100 acres land and 1 white poll)

p. 21
page 65, 258. Wt. Granted. Dec. 20, 1793 Thomas Stone enters 100 ac in Stokes Co on waters of Gladens Cr near Black Mountian (sic); border: John Gorden's late 50 ac entry.

Stokes Co, NC Tax List 1794, by Iris Mosley Harvey
Stone: John (p. 31, Cap't Vest's District, 100 acres land and 1 white poll)

p. 22
page 66, 264. Wt. Granted. Jan 2, 1794 John Stone jr enters 50 ac in Stokes Co on S fork of Leonards Br; includes "the" Limestone Spring and runs up branch.
p. 22
page 66, 265. Wt. Granted. Jan. 2, 1794 John Stone jr enters 50 ac in Stokes Co; border: Wm Vanable jr.
p. 23
page 70, 277. Wt. Granted, Feb. 11, 1794 Thomas Stone enters 100 ac in Stokes Co on Gladins Cr; border: land Isaiah Gumon formerly lives on to N; includes improvement Joseph Gorden lives on and runs up the creek

No Tax List for 1795

Stokes Co, NC Deed Abstracts, Book 2 (1793-1797), Abstracted, Compiled & Indexed by Mrs. W.O. Absher
p. 32
174 24 Feb 1795 Lemuel Smith Chatham Co NC to Richard Goode 300 pds Va moeny (sic) pd to Col Peter Perkins 401 ac both sides Townfork near mouth adj Young, Carmichaels old line, Warnocks cor & incl all lands that Lemuel Smith purchased of matthew Warnock. W.D.L.Y. Stone, Jeremiah Welch, s/Lemuel Smith

Stokes Co, NC Tax List 1796, by Iris Mosley Harvey
Stone: John (p. 6, Cap't Vest's District, 100 acres land and 1 white poll)
Jno for Tho (p. 6, Cap't Vest's District, 100 acres and no polls)

p. 49
page 162, 618. Wt. Granted. Oct. 22 1796 John Lanard enters 100 ac in Stokes Co on waters of Little Yadkin R; border: himself, John Stone, Jesse Kerby, John Hampton, & Thomas East.

Stokes Co, NC Tax List 1797, by Iris Mosley Harvey
Stone: John (p. 4, Cap't Vest's District, 200 acres land and 1 white poll)
Thomas (p. 5, Cap't Vest's District, 100 ac and no polls)

p. 4
24 8 Feb 1798 William Stone & wf Hannah, Surry County to Paul Starbuck Guilford Co
150 pds 280 ac in Surry Co Bloose (sic) Ck adj Dobson, Coffin Jones. Seth Coffin,
Francis Barnard, William Starbuck, William X Stone, Hannah X Stone

1800, Stokes Co, NC, Salisbury TWP:
John Stone 2 - - 1 - - - - 1 - - - - (Free White Males: 2 < 10, and 1 26- 44; Free White Females: 1 26-44)

Stokes Co, NC Wills, Vols I-IV, 1790-1864, by Mrs. W.O. Absher
p. 36
Page 72. 2 October 1805. Will of Samuel DALTON. March Term 1807. Revoking all Wills made by me as concerning one mare and two colts which I now bequeath to daughter, Littusue MOORE as the above property was disposed of in my former will in manner contrary to my wish and desire. Witnesses: Wm. CAMPBELL and John STONE, Jurat. Signed Samuel (X) DALTON.

p. 41
Page 97. 28 March 1807. Will of Thomas EAST, Senr. Caty BROWN, at her decease, Negroes, girl Patt, boy Jim (son of Jim and Sal). Children of my daughter Elizabeth at her decease, Negroes nancy and Sally (daughters of old Jim and Sal). Children of my daughter Nancy at her decease, Negroes Jim and Sal and their daughters Rebecca and Jude. Son Thomas EAST, Junr., Negroes Hannah, Enoch, also my blacksmith tools and 400 acres land where I now live. Two grandsons, Jesse BROWN and Thomas East BROWN, 200 acres Hollow road adjoining above tract. Abel EDWARDS corner, near meeting house spring, Samuel NEELEY, Senrs. corner. To my old Negro woman Fanny, to have her house and lott and all her possessions. To my three daughters mentioned above, my Stocks of every kind. Grandson Thomas EDWARDS, son of Abel EDWARDS. Executors: Son Thomas EAST and Henry Spain HOWARD (SPAINHOUR?). Witnesses: Jeremiah KING, John STONE, and Henry (X) JURAT. Signed: Thomas EAST, Senr...September Term 1808 proved in open court before Jury empanniled and swon on a Caviat against same. Jury ordered Will to be recorded.

p. 49
Page 140. 6 October 1812. Will of Malcom CURRY. March Term 1813. Daughters Sarah and Rebecca. Plantation whereon I now live. Daughters Peggy, wife of E. FERGUSON, tract of land adjoining mine or she chooseth to give it to her children, Curry and Polly. Daughters Polly, wife of John VENABLE and Bethsey, wife of John STONE, Bond of 100 pounds on Anthony CROTCHETT in Western Country. Executors: John RANDLEMAN and Christin LASH. Witnesses: Gerorge HAUSER and Henry HAUSER. Signed Malcom CURRY.
From Archives:
"In the name of God Amen, I Malcum Curry of Stokes County N. Carolina, considering the mortality of men, think proper to make my last Will & Testament, being at present in sound and perfect mind and understanding - and therefore do order, as following - First, I will that all my just Debts be paid by my Executors hereafter named, and my Funeral Expenses be paid out of my Estate - - and then I will that my Daughters, Sarah and Rebecca shall have shall have (sic) the Plantation whereon I now live together with all my Stocks, of every kind which I now posess including a Slave ? And then I give to my Daughters Peggy Wife of E. Fergerson a Tract of Land adjoining on part of mine, agreable (sic) to a Line established between myself & him - for her to enjoy or if she chooseth to give to her children Curry ro Polly - I also give to my Daughter Polly wife of John Venable and to my Daughter Bethsy Wife of John Stone a Bond of one hundred pounds on Anthony Crotchet in the Western Country - in full of their share of Inheritance - they having cash of themselves already two hundred acres of Land. And lastly I appoint my Trusty Friends John Randleman and Christian Lash to be the Executors of this my last Will, and hereby desire this and no other to be my last Will and Testament. In Testimony whereof I have hereto set my hand & seal the Sixth day of October eighteen hundred & twelve - Signed, sealed, ? normal and declared by the Testator as his last will in the presence of George Hauser & Henry Hauser. Malcom Curry (Seal)"

p. 67
Page 84. 7 January 1822. Will of William CHILDRESS, Senr. September Term 1822. Wife Anne, lifetime claim plantation. Son William, Negro boy Isaac. Daughter Elizabeth WILLIAMSON, Negro woman Jane and her two sons Lewis and Jacob; half my improvement where I live adjoining George BOAZE and Joel TANNER and Lucy CHILDRESS. Son Benjamin (deceased), land on which his widow now lives, 50 acres. Grandsons: William, Joseph and Samuel (sons of my son Jesse), land; Negro boy Harry. Daughter Nancy, Negro girl Judah during Nancy's life; then to her daughter Elizabeth. Daughter Sally, Negro Beck her lifetime; then to her daughter Nancy. Daughter Susannah, Negro girl Rachel. mentions old Negro woman Beck and old man Frank be sold; Beck allowed to choose her master among my children. Executors: John STONE and Solomon SPAINHOUR. Witnesses: David SPAINHOUR, Jurat, Elisha CHILDRESS, and George BOOSE, Jrat. Signed: William Childress

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding the BARNER, CLAPP,and STONE families in Stokes Co, NC (formed 1789 from Surry Co), I found the following on a trip to the NC State Library and Archives. I haven't really had time to "digest" the info, but looks like we've now found Christina and Edney's parents!

Stokes Co, NC Tax List 1790, by Iris Mosley Harvey
Banner: Benjamin, David, Ephraim, and Joseph
Barnard: Frances
Barnett: Thurstrom
Stone: John (p. 16, Cap't Hill's District, 200 acres land and 1 white poll
p. 22, Cap't Hill's District, 100 acres land and 1 white poll)

Stokes Co, NC Tax List 1791, by Iris Mosley Harvey
Banner: Benjamin, Ephraim, and Joseph
Barnard: Frances and Trustrim
Barnes: David
Stone: John (p. 21, Cap't Hughlette's District, 100 acres land and 1 white poll)

Stokes Co, NC Tax List 1792, by Iris Mosley Harvey
Boger: John
Banner: Benjamin, Ephraim, and Joseph
Barnard: Frances, Jonathan, and Trustrim
Barner: David (p. 12 Cap't Blackburn's District, no land and 2 white polls)
Stone: John (p. 21, Cap't Vest's District, 230 acres land and 1 white poll)

Stokes Co, NC Tax List 1793, by Iris Mosley Harvey
Banner: Benjamin, Capt, Ephraim Capt, and Joseph
Barnard: Asa, Frances, and Tristam
Barner: Jno (p. 3, Cap't Banner's District, for himself and his father's estate, no land, 1
white and 1 black poll)
CLASS: John
Stone: John (p. 18, Cap't Vest's District, 100 acres land and 1 white poll)

Stokes Co, NC Tax List 1794, by Iris Mosley Harvey
Banner: Benjamin, Benjamin Junior, Capt, Charles, Ephraim Capt, John, and Joseph
Barnard: Asre and Tristam
Booner: Joseph
Stone: John (p. 31, Cap't Vest's District, 100 acres land and 1 white poll)

No Tax List for 1795

Stokes Co, NC Tax List 1796, by Iris Mosley Harvey
Banner: Benjamin Junior, Benjamin Senior, Capt, Charles, Ephraim, Henry, John, and
Joseph
Barnard: Jonathan and Tristam
Barnel: Jonathan
Stone: John (p. 6, Cap't Vest's District, 100 acres land and 1 white poll)
Jno for Tho (p. 6, Cap't Vest's District, 100 acres and no polls)

Stokes Co, NC Tax List 1797, by Iris Mosley Harvey
Banner: Benjamin Junior, Benjamin Senior, Charles Esqr, Ephraim, Henry, John,
Joseph, and Joshua
Barnett: Trustran
Boner: Isaac
Stone: John (p. 4, Cap't Vest's District, 200 acres land and 1 white poll)
Thomas (p. 5, Cap't Vest's District, 100 ac and no polls)

Stokes Co, NC Tax List 1815, by Jo White Linn
Stone: John (p. 7, Richmond District, 303 acres land valued at $700 and 1 white poll)
Joseph (p. 7, Richmond District, 100 acres land valued at $100 and 1 white poll)
Salathiel (p. 22, Belews Creek District, 200 acres valued at $1000 and 1 white
poll)

p. 10
page 31, 122. Wt. Granted. Aug 16, 1792 William Hughlett enters 50 ac in Stokes Co on Gladdins Cr; border: Isaiah Gymon, conditional line between John Stone sr & Samuel Prather, & runs up said creek; includes said Prather's Improvement.

p. 21
page 65, 258. Wt. Granted. Dec. 20, 1793 Thomas Stone enters 100 ac in Stokes Co on waters of Gladens Cr near Black Mountian (sic); border: John Gorden's late 50 ac entry.

p. 22
page 66, 264. Wt. Granted. Jan 2, 1794 John Stone jr enters 50 ac in Stokes Co on S fork of Leonards Br; includes "the" Limestone Spring and runs up branch.

p. 22
page 66, 265. Wt. Granted. Jan. 2, 1794 John Stone jr enters 50 ac in Stokes Co; border: Wm Vanable jr.

p. 23
page 70, 277. Wt. Granted, Feb. 11, 1794 Thomas Stone enters 100 ac in Stokes Co on Gladins Cr; border: land Isaiah Gumon formerly lives on to N; includes improvement Joseph Gorden lives on and runs up the creek

p. 49
page 162, 618. Wt. Granted. Oct. 22 1796 John Lanard enters 100 ac in Stokes Co on waters of Little Yadkin R; border: himself, John Stone, Jesse Kerby, John Hampton, & Thomas East.

p. 2
6 12 June 1793 Constantine Ladd, Esq high Sheriff to James Matthews (land lost by
Augustine Blackburn to satisfy John Faw) 235 1/2 ac adj Ambrose Blackburn, Younger
Blackburn (sale 7 May 1792) R. M. Murry, John Barner, s/Constantine Ladd, Sheriff

6 1 June 1793 Lewis Blume to Samuel Stiffanes & constantine Ladd 500 pds
7 3 lotts (sic) in Germanton fronting Cross St leading toward the bridgepurchased of
Gray Bynum adj sd Bynum, Bitting & Peter Hairston. John Barner, Judith Ladd,
s/Lewis Blum

p. 4
24 8 Feb 1798 William Stone & wf Hannah, Surry County to Paul Starbuck Guilford Co
150 pds 280 ac in Surry Co Bloose (sic) Ck adj Dobson, Coffin Jones. Seth Coffin,
Francis Barnard, William Starbuck, William X Stone, Hannah X Stone

p. 6
35 24 Nov 1792 John Stone, Surry Co to Moses Barrow, Stokes 50 pds 250 ac middle fork Bloose (sic) Ck adj Andrew Hannah & James Gammell. Acknd s/John Stone

p. 32
174 24 Feb 1795 Lemuel Smith Chatham Co NC to Richard Goode 300 pds Va moeny (sic) pd to Col Peter Perkins 401 ac both sides Townfork near mouth adj Young, Carmichaels old line, Warnocks cor & incl all lands that Lemuel Smith purchased of matthew Warnock. W.D.L.Y. Stone, Jeremiah Welch, s/Lemuel Smith

p. 36
Page 72. 2 October 1805. Will of Samuel DALTON. March Term 1807. Revoking all Wills made by me as concerning one mare and two colts which I now bequeath to daughter, Littusue MOORE as the above property was disposed of in my former will in manner contrary to my wish and desire. Witnesses: Wm. CAMPBELL and John STONE, Jurat. Signed Samuel (X) DALTON.

p. 41
Page 97. 28 March 1807. Will of Thomas EAST, Senr. Caty BROWN, at her decease, Negroes, girl Patt, boy Jim (son of Jim and Sal). Children of my daughter Elizabeth at her decease, Negroes nancy and Sally (daughters of old Jim and Sal). Children of my daughter Nancy at her decease, Negroes Jim and Sal and their daughters Rebecca and Jude. Son Thomas EAST, Junr., Negroes Hannah, Enoch, also my blacksmith tools and 400 acres land where I now live. Two grandsons, Jesse BROWN and Thomas East BROWN, 200 acres Hollow road adjoining above tract. Abel EDWARDS corner, near meeting house spring, Samuel NEELEY, Senrs. corner. To my old Negro woman Fanny, to have her house and lott and all her possessions. To my three daughters mentioned above, my Stocks of every kind. Grandson Thomas EDWARDS, son of Abel EDWARDS. Executors: Son Thomas EAST and Henry Spain HOWARD (SPAINHOUR?). Witnesses: Jeremiah KING, John STONE, and Henry (X) JURAT. Signed: Thomas EAST, Senr...September Term 1808 proved in open court before Jury empanniled and swon on a Caviat against same. Jury ordered Will to be recorded.

p. 49
Page 140. 6 October 1812. Will of Malcom CURRY. March Term 1813. Daughters Sarah and Rebecca. Plantation whereon I now live. Daughters Peggy, wife of E. FERGUSON, tract of land adjoining mine or she chooseth to give it to her children, Curry and Polly. Daughters Polly, wife of John VENABLE and Bethsey, wife of John STONE, Bond of 100 pounds on Anthony CROTCHETT in Western Country. Executors: John RANDLEMAN and Christin LASH. Witnesses: Gerorge HAUSER and Henry HAUSER. Signed Malcom CURRY.

From Archives:
"In the name of God Amen, I Malcum Curry of Stokes County N. Carolina, considering the mortality of men, think proper to make my last Will & Testament, being at present in sound and perfect mind and understanding - and therefore do order, as following - First, I will that all my just Debts be paid by my Executors hereafter named, and my Funeral Expenses be paid out of my Estate - - and then I will that my Daughters, Sarah and Rebecca shall have shall have (sic) the Plantation whereon I now live together with all my Stocks, of every kind which I now posess including a Slave ? And then I give to my Daughters Peggy Wife of E. Fergerson a Tract of Land adjoining on part of mine, agreable (sic) to a Line established between myself & him - for her to enjoy or if she chooseth to give to her children Curry ro Polly - I also give to my Daughter Polly wife of John Venable and to my Daughter Bethsy Wife of John Stone a Bond of one hundred pounds on Anthony Crotchet in the Western Country - in full of their share of Inheritance - they having cash of themselves already two hundred acres of Land. And lastly I appoint my Trusty Friends John Randleman and Christian Lash to be the Executors of this my last Will, and hereby desire this and no other to be my last Will and Testament. In Testimony whereof I have hereto set my hand & seal the Sixth day of October eighteen hundred & twelve - Signed, sealed, ? normal and declared by the Testator as his last will in the presence of George Hauser & Henry Hauser. Malcom Curry (Seal)"

p. 67
Page 84. 7 January 1822. Will of William CHILDRESS, Senr. September Term 1822. Wife Anne, lifetime claim plantation. Son William, Negro boy Isaac. Daughter Elizabeth WILLIAMSON, Negro woman Jane and her two sons Lewis and Jacob; half my improvement where I live adjoining George BOAZE and Joel TANNER and Lucy CHILDRESS. Son Benjamin (deceased), land on which his widow now lives, 50 acres. Grandsons: William, Joseph and Samuel (sons of my son Jesse), land; Negro boy Harry. Daughter Nancy, Negro girl Judah during Nancy's life; then to her daughter Elizabeth. Daughter Sally, Negro Beck her lifetime; then to her daughter Nancy. Daughter Susannah, Negro girl Rachel. mentions old Negro woman Beck and old man Frank be sold; Beck allowed to choose her master among my children. Executors: John STONE and Solomon SPAINHOUR. Witnesses: David SPAINHOUR, Jurat, Elisha CHILDRESS, and George BOOSE, Jrat. Signed: William Childress

p. 94
Page 257. October 1824. Will of Abraham TRANSAU, Senr. September Term 1833. Funeral to be in manner United Brethren (Moravian). Wife Eva, remain in full possession of my house and lot in Bethania as long as she lives. Six children: Philip, Abraham, Solomon, Mary Elizabeth, Mary Magdaline, and Philipina, residue estate equally. Executors: Son -in-law John C. BLUM and son Philip TRANSAU. Witnesses: John Jacob BLUM and Isaac BONER. Signed Abraham TRANSAW.

p. 94 & 95
Page 269. 19 January 1833. Will of Martha BARNER (BONER). December Term 1833. Daughters Judah and Patsy, 56 acres including house and orchard where I now live. Daughters Edney STONE, Christine STONE and Rebecca MOORE, 1/3 remaining land. Three granddaughters: Polly, Judah and Betsy MOORE (3 eldest daughters of Rebecca). Son John, $10 and no more. Son Horatio, $1.00 and no more. Daughter Rebecca MOORE, $1.00 and no more (?). Money arising from sale of my property divided 6 ways, viz: 1st daughter Patsy; 2nd daughter Judah; 3rd daughter Edney; 4th daughter Christina; 5th part divided between Patsy and Sally SIMMONS; 6th part between Judah MOORE, Polly MOORE and Betsy MOORE. Executor: William STONE. Witnesses: P.T. KERBY and Jacob ?TNER. Signed Martha (X) BARNER (BONER).

From Archives:
In the name of god Amen I Martha Barner of the County of Stokes being of sound and perfect mind and memory (blessed be god) do this nineteenth day of January 1833 make and publish this my last will and testament in manner following that is to say - First I give and devise unto two of my daughters to with Judah Barner and Patsy Barner fifty six acres of land lying and being in the County aforesaid to be so laid off as to include the House and orchard where I now live and I further give unto my two daughters aforesaid one mare and two cows - the ballance (sic) of my tract of land to be equally divided as to number of acres into three parts one part to my daughter Edney Stone and one part to my daughter Christeny Stone and the third part ? my daughters Rebecca Moores three oldest daughters to wit Poly Judah and Betsy - my will is that all the ballance (sic) of my property of whatso ever nature be sold by my Executor and my son John Barner to have one dollar and no more and my son Horatio one dollar and no more and my dughter Rebecca Moore one dollar and no more and the ballance of the money arising from the Sale of my property to be divided into six equal parts one part to my daughter patsy one part to my daughter Judah one part to my daughter Edney one part to my daughter Christina and the fifth part to be Equally divided between patsy and sally timmons - the Sixth and Last part be be Equally Divided between Judy Moore Polly Moor and Betsy Moore and I herby make and ordain my friend William Stone Executor of this my last will and testament in witness where of I the said Martha Barner have to this my last will and testament Set my hand and Seal the day and year above written - Martha (her mark) Barner. Signed Sealed published and Declared by the said Martha Barner to be her last will and testament in the presence of us B. K?rley. Jacob Butner, Jurat"

p. 103
Page 311. 21 November 1831. Will of Thomas DUNCAN "being for advanced in years." September Term 1836. Daughter Anna KERNS' son William, 5 shillings. Daughter Rachel LYSLE, Negro Margaret already received. Daughter Rhody, what Charity will bring when sold. To Eady STONE, Negro Patsy (to be sold). To Mary FLETCHER, Negro girl Lucy already secured. To Dicy FLETCHER, Negro girl Alsy. To Judy YOUNG, deceased, 150 acres I now live on. To Rebecca WELCH, Negro Emily. To Russell DUNCAN, Negro John, 1/2 of 100 acres below and adjoining my old plantation to be sold and other half to James DUNCAN. Grandaughters Elizabeth and Rachel WELCH, 2 beds and furniture. Son of James WELCH mentioned; appointed James WELCH guardian of Russel, my son. Executor: James DAVIS, Senr. Witness: Wm. A. MITCHELL. Signed: Thomas (X) Duncan...
CODICIL: 6 January 1832. Negro girl Alsey to be given grand-daughter Marthy YOUNG. Also land mentioned be given James an dSussel DUNCAN, I now give the whole to Russel and at his death, Russels part to grandson, James ork WELCH and James DUNCAN shall receive no more of my estate as he received his share ($12.00) in fall of 1831. Witnesses: Henry MARTIN, Senr., Jno. J. MARTIN, Thomas NEAL, Asa WOOD, and Matthew WOOD. Signed: Thomas (X) DUNCAN...
May 16, 1834. I Thomas DUNCAN sold James RYERSON (RIERSON) Negro Emily which I gave Rebecca WELCH, to Rebecca $300.00 instead of Emily. Witness: William DAVIS, Jr. Signed: Thomas (X) Duncan.

NOTE: Will of Thomas Ducan not in Will book to Archives, nor was a will found in the Archives. However, I did not have the opportunity to check the microfiche at the Archives.

p. 109
Page 23. 27 Otober 1835. Will of Lewis WAGGONER. June Term 188. Son-in-law Godfrey ODUM, $150.00. Children: Spencer, Joseph, Sally (wife of Benjamin COFER), and Delphia, residue of estate. Executor: Salathiel STONE. Witnesses: J.C. STONE and Salathiel STONE. Signed: Lewis WAGGONER

Stokes Co, NC, Mariage Records 1783-1868, by Frances T Ingmire:

p. 00005
BRIDE GROOM DATE

BARNER, Christina STONE, James 02/26/1815
BARNER, Edny STONE, William 02/22/1811
BARNER, Rebecca MOORE, Aaron 01/23/1804
BARNER, Rebecca MOORE, Alexander 01/23/1804

p. 00099
GROOM BRIDE DATE

STONE, Anderson FULK, Malinda 10/14/1839
STONE, Enoch GORDON, Elizabeth 10/08/1819
STONE, James BARNER, Christina 02/26/1815
STONE, James KING, Patsy 06/16/1824
STONE, Jno. C. COVINGTON, Nancy 09/26/1838
STONE, John PENNINGTON, Elizabeth 04/22/1819
STONE, John, Jr CROSSWHITE, Elizabeth 02/25/1827
STONE, John R. HAUSER, Julia A. 02/17/1846
STONE, Lewis MOSER, Caty 03/02/1824
STONE, Lewis HUNTER, Martha 02/12/1810
STONE, Salathiel CLOSE, Jennet 07/16/1812
STONE, Simon A BLACKBURN, Mary C. 10/08/1844
STONE, Thomas J. VENABLE, Charity T. 12/24/1866
STONE, Urbane RIDER, Charity 08/12/1825
STONE, William GORDON, Mary 07/22/1813
STONE, William BARNER, Edny 02/22/1811
STONE, William E HENDRIX, Sarah A 09/30/1863

From Archives Microfiche, Stokes Co, NC, marriage Bonds:

"State of North Carolina, _____ County.
KNOWN all Men by these Presents, That we William Stone & Eli Fergerson in the State aforesaid are held and firmly bound unto the Governor of the State of North Carolina for the time being, in the just and full sum of Five Hundred Pounds, current money of this State, to be paid to the said Governor, or his successors or assigns: To the which payment well and truly to be made and done, we bind ourselves, our Heirs, Executors and Administrators. Sealed with our seals, and dated this 22d day of Feb y Anno Domini, 1811
THE CONDITION of the above obligation is such, That whereas the above bounden William Stone hath made application for a License for a marriage to be celebrated between him and Edney Barner of the county aforesaid: Now, in case it shall not appear hereafter, that there is any lawful cause to obstruct the said marriage, then the above oblication to be void, otherwise to remain in full force and virture.
Signed and Delivered in presence of us William Stone (SEAL) Elazar Ferguson (Seal)"

"State of North Carolina, Stokes County.
Known all Men by these Presents, That we James Stone & Valentine Fry are held and firmly bound unto William Miller Governor, or his sucessors in office, in the full sum of FIVE HUNDRED POUNDS, current money, to be paid to the said Governor, his successors or assigns, for the which payment, well and truly to be made and done, we bind ourselves, our heirs, executors and administrators, jointly and severally, firmly by these presents. Sealed with our seals, and dated this 26th day of Feb y Anno Domini, 1815
THE CONDITION of the above obligation is such, That whereas the above bounden James Stone hath made application for a license for a marriage to be celebrated between him and Christina Barner of the county aforesaid. - Now, in case it shall not appear hereafter that there is any lawful cause or impediment to obstruct the said marriage, then the above oblication to be void, otherwise to remain in full force and virture.
Signed, sealed and delivered in presence of James Stone (SEAL) Fetty Fry (Seal)"

Marriage Licenses of Stokes County, North Carolina 1839-1887, Compiled by Harvey L. Lineback:

p. 15
Bowman, J.W., son of Elisha Bowman & Sarah Ann Bowman
Stone, Permella F., daughter of Anderson Stone & (blank) Stone
License #90, dated 1 Mar 1869, Married on 2 Mar 1869 by Wm Newsum, JP

p. 62
Gordon, Henry W. 24, son of S.P. Gordon & Elizabeth Gordon
Stone, Eliza J. 21, daughter of Wesly Stone & Mary Stone (dead) of Pilot Mtn
License #2156 dated 8 Oct 1886, Married on 10 Oct 1886 by H. Venable JP M Quaker Gap Township
Witnesses: Mary Veneable, John H. Bullington, Robert Chandler

p. 130
Moser, William W. 25, son of Lenard Moser & Elizabeth Moser (dead)
Stone, Mary E. 32, daughter of John Stone & Julia Stone
License #994 dated 3 Nov 1877. Married on 4 Nov 1877 by William Newsum, JP in Yadkin Township.
Witnesses: A.T. Newsum, J.W. Newsum, W.W. Snider

p. 177
Stone, John 23, son of Thos. Stone (dead) & Sally Stone (dead)
Scales, Nancy 30, daughter of Thos Scales (dead) & Cinda Scales (dead)
License #1104 dated 7 Sep 1878. Married on 9 Sep 1878 by Henry Allen, Min. in Meadows Township.
Witnesses: Buck Greene, Cinda Greene, George Moon. Black.

p. 177
Stone, William Rierson 21, son of William Stone (dead) & Barbary Stone
Warren, Sallie 20, daughter of Benjamin Warren & Etta Warren
License #1717 dated 31 Mar 1883, Married on 1 Apr 1883 by T.H. Bain, JP in Meadows Township (Germanton, NC)
Witnesses: J.Y. Burchfield, A.J. Burchfield, L.A. Bain

p. 190
Vest, George Washington 21, son of (blank) (blank) & Lizzie Vest
Stone, Tempy 33, daughter of Maston Wall & not known (dead)
License #2050 dated 23 Dec 1885, Married on 24 Dec 1885 by J.M. Gatewood, JP in Snow Creek Township.
Witnesses: J.M. Wall, Allie C. Wall, Cora Wall

p. 193
Waller, John I 22 of Forsyth Co, son of T.J. Waller & J.G. Waller
Stone, Martha E 18, daughter of A.H. Stone & Olivia Stone
License #931 dated 5 Mar 1877 Married on 8 Mar 1877 by William Newsom, JP
Witnesses: B.F. Puham, J.M. Carter, M.A. Eaton

p. 206
Youngblood, N.E. 28, son of T.R. Youngblood & Caroline Youngblood
Stone, Millinar 19, daughter of A.H. Stone & Olivia Stone
License #2201 dated 22 Jan 1887, Married on 23 Jan 1887 by S.H. Helsabeck, Min in Yadkin Township
Witnesses: J.S.D. Pulliam, J.B. Stone, W.H. Coe

Marriage Licenses of Stokes County, North Carolina 1888-1900, Compiled by Harvey L. Lineback:

p. 61
Gordon, S.M. 23, son of Samuel Gordon & Elizabeth Gordon
Stone, Elizabeth 22 of Surry Co, daughter of Wesly Stone and Mary Ann Stone (dead)
License #2356 dated 3 Apr 1888 Married on 8 Apr 1888 by H. Venable, JP in Quaker Gap Twsp
Witnesses: Frank Chandler, Mrs. H. Venable, Alice Hardy

p. 63
Gunter, Charles Jackson 22, son of P.J. Gunter & Jane C. Gunter
Stone, Ellen Malinda 20, daughter of Anderson Stone & Oletha Stone
License #3055 dated 20 Sep 1892 Married on 21 Sep 1892 by William Newsom, JP in Yadlin Twsp
Witnesses: Martha Dawson, Amanda S. Newsom, J.E. Newsom

p. 155
Stone, Henry I 23, son of Wm E Stone & Sarah Stone
Sprinkle, Sarah P. 20, daughter of Jno B. Sprinkle & Francis Sprinkle
License #2847 dated 17 Apr 1891 Maried on 19 Apr 1891 by John H. Shamell in Yadkin Twsp.
Witnesses: Julius Mickey, J.A. Stone, J.W. Wall

p. 156
Stone, James A. 23 of Surry Co., son of Wm E. Stone & Sarah A Stone
Fulk, Laura 18, daughter of R.F. Fulk & Mary A. Fulk
License #3116 dated 16 Dec 1892. Married on 17 Dec 1892 by William Newsom, JP in Yadkin Twsp
Witnesses: G.C. Garner, B.W. Garner, R.A. Newsome

p. 156
Stone, Jas W. 20, son of F.K. Stone & Sarah C. Stone of Surry Co
Pell, Jennie 20, daughter of J.W. Pell & Elizabeth J. Pell
License #2703 dated 2 Sep 1890. Married on 7 Sep 1890 by William F. Needham, Min. M.E. Church South, m Quaker Gap Twsp.
Witnesses: Robert Hill, William Pell, John Pell

p. 156
Stone, Samuel P. 38, son of John R. Stone (dead) & Julia P. Stone (dead)
Flynn, Issabelle 20, daughte rof Burrel Flynn & Mary Flynn
License #3641 dated 7 Sep 1896 Married on 17 Sep 1896 by R.F. Fulk, JP in Yadkin Twsp
Witnesses: J.D. Culler, A.A. Culler, J.W. Carliles

p. 156
Stone, William 40, son of Fed Stone & Minta Stone of VA
Hairston, Leah 35, daughter of Reuben Hairston (dead) and Fanny Hairston of VA
License #2701 dated 21 Aug 1890, Married on 21 Aug 1890 by J.P. Dalton, JP in Beaver Island Twsp
Witnesses: Granvil Stone, Lula Wilson, W.C. Parish. Black.

p. 168
Veneable, Floyd W. 23, son of F.M. Venable & L.L. Venable
Stone, Edna J. 23, daughter of W.M. stone & Leusetta Stone
License #3500 dated 22 Oct 1895. Married 4 Dec 1895 by G.O. Key, Primitive Baptist Min In Yadkin Twsp
Witnesses: William M. Stone, John W. Ross, O.J. Denny

p. 174
Westmoreland, Samuel L. 25, son of Jasper Westmoreland & Elizabeth Westmoreland
Stone, Florida V. 19, daughter of John J Stone (dead) & Temperance M. Stone
License #3224 dated 22 Sep 1893, Married on 22 Sep 1893 by S.A. Hauser, JP m Yadlin Twsp
Witnesses: J.W. Wall, J.W. Hauser, H.V. Meadows

Submitter: barbara borchers
Subject: Stones of Stokes County
I am searching for the parents of James (1798 ) and William Stone (1794 ). James married Christiana Barner in 1815 , they migrated to KY after 1830. William married Edny Barner , they were still in Stokes county in 1850 census record. Does anyone have any information regarding this family ?
thanks
BJ
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jleadbitter12... 18 Jul 2006 5:00PM GMT 
teryssmith 24 Jul 2006 6:32PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic