Search for content in message boards

A funny thing happened on the road to Sizergh Castle ...

Replies: 0

A funny thing happened on the road to Sizergh Castle ...

Posted: 30 Mar 2011 2:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 May 2011 8:05AM GMT
Surnames: Strickland, Basse, Binnes, Salvin, Loreens, Lorains, Lorynes, Clark, Wiseman, De Strickland, Sawbridge, Temptest, Curwen
The confusion of Matthew Strickland (1639-1696)...too many fathers, and no viable leads. There is a great deal of confusion between family tree researchers as to the correct lineage of this particular Matthew Strickland.

As cool as it may be to have a direct line back to the Stricklands of Sizergh Castle, thus far any information connecting this Matthew Strickland to the Stricklands of Sizergh Castle is tenuous at best. Part of the problem may lie in the fact that a fire in 1601 destroyed several decades worth of records, but that still doesn't quite account for Matthew Strickland (1639-1696) having too many fathers. I have found family trees that list this Matthew's father as (Isaac) Jacob Strickland, whereas others list his father as Edward Strickland. I don't know if either Jacob or Edward or correct.

Who is the REAL father of Matthew Strickland (1639-1696)?

A. Edward Strickland (1596 - ?), married to Elizabeth Basse, and Elizabeth Binnes

or

B. (Isaac) Jacob Strickland (1596 - ?), Married to Ann Salvin

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

If we surmise this Matthew's father to be (A) Edward Strickland, then the proposed family line I have seen looks like this:

Matthew Strickland (B: 1626/27 or 1639/40, Death 1696)
M: Elizabeth Loreens (alternately spelled Lorains, Lorynes)

Father: Edward Arthur Strickland (abt 1596 - ?)
M: Ann Clark

Grandfather: Edward Strickland (abt 1551 – 1575)
M: Lillian Mary Wiseman

G.G.F: William De Strickland (1530 – 1569)
M: Elizabeth Sawbridge

GGGF: Walter Charles Strickland, Esq. (1515 – 1569)
M: Alice Temptest

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

If we surmise this Matthew's father to be (B) Isaac Jacob Strickland, then the proposed family lines I have seen are even more confusing, as this Jacob has been assigned 3 different fathers:

A. Roger Strickland (1580 – 1626), married to Margaret Curwen
B. Roger Strickland (1550 – 1626), married to Ann Clark
C. Thomas Strickland (1563 – 1612), married to Margaret Curwen

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The proposed family line from Jacob son of (A) Roger (1580 – 1626):

Father: Jacob Strickland (1596 - ?),
M: Ann Salvin

Grandfather: Roger Strickland (1580 – 1626),
M: Margaret Curwen

GGF: William De Strickland (1550 – 1591)
M: ?

GGGF: Walter Charles Strickland, Esq. (1515 – 1569)

The proposed family line from Jacob son of (B) Roger (1550 – 1626):

Grandfather: Roger Strickland (1550 – 1626)
M: Ann Clark

GGF: Walter Charles Strickland, Esq. (1515 – 1569)

The proposed family line from Jacob son of (C) Thomas (1563 – 1612):

Matthew Strickland (B: 1626/27 or 1639/40 Death: 1696)

Grandfather: Thomas Strickland (1563 – 1612)
M: Margaret Curwen

GGF: Walter Charles Strickland, Esq. (1515 – 1569), of Sizergh Castle

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

If you’ve followed all of that and are still reading this message, then I applaud you! I wish it were as easy as choosing the proposed lineage as we like best. Sadly it is not that easy.

While all these lines make claims back to Walter C Strickland, Esq. (1515-1569), there is no verifiable evidence that I have found thus far to confirm any of these proposed lineages. I have documents proving Thomas Strickland (1563 – 1612) is indeed the legitimate son of Walter Charles Strickland, Esq. by Walter’s wife Alice Temptest, and these documents (and more) can verify the line from Walter back to before the time of King Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine (my favorite monarchs, by the way), but I have nothing that supports a link from this Matthew to Walter Charles Strickland, Esq., and thus to the Stricklands of Sizergh Castle.

But…I’ve only been working on this for a week, so there may be information and documentation (verifiable evidence) that does actually make a connection between this Matthew and the Stricklands of Sizergh Castle.

If any of you have ANYTHING to support any of the above claims to the Stricklands of Sizergh Castle, please share it with me! If you have information that supports a different road from this Matthew back to some other Strickland line in England, I would love to see that as well!

~ Berta Phillips
berta-marie.phillips@msn.com

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions