Search for content in message boards

Looking for Summers from Arkansas

Replies: 10

Re: Looking for Summers from Arkansas

Posted: 15 Mar 2010 12:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Groves, Summers
I am a Summers descendant of those originating in and around Prince George's Co, MD.

John Franklin Summers 27May1849 NC - 28Nov1926 moved from NC to Arkansas: Summers, Arkansas reportedly named after him.

John Franklin m. 2 times, at least:

m. (1) Dena - Deanie King: children: Jesse Fred m. Elsie Moore; Anna Pauline m. Robet Overholt; Charles Allen m. Goldie Hester.

m. (2) Summey-Summie West: children: Pinkie m. John Plumble; John 'Doc' Webster m. Susan Yeager; Mabel Jane; William 'Billy' m. Flossie May Angell.

Parents of John Franklin Summers were Hiram Summers m. Nancy Tomlinson. Hiram's parents were Benjamin Summers m. Verlinda Lovelace. (Benjamin b. in Prince George's Co, MD whose parents Thomas Summers m. Rachel Talbot moved from Maryland to Iredell Co, NC).
-----------------------------
1. Mildred J Miller copyright with Thomas A Summers, Jr, Carolina Summers, History of the Summers and Allied Families with Notes on the Countryside and Lifestyles of Yesterday, 1980, Hunter Publishing Company, Winston-Salem, NC, Page 57.
"..."A History of Summers Community: written by Zella Cann and Eugene Gibson about 1948 or 1950. they give the following sketch of John Franklin summers.

"John F. Summers, a native of North Carolina, (the man who gave Summers [Arkansas - Del Groves] its name) came to Arkansas from Texas...He established a general store just east of where the old line road crossed the Fayetteville - Ft. Gibson Roads, hauling his merchandise by wagon from Van Buren, Arkansas...."

2. Mildred J Miller copyright with Thomas A Summers, Jr, Carolina Summers, History of the Summers and Allied Families with Notes on the Countryside and Lifestyles of Yesterday, 1980, Hunter Publishing Company, Winston-Salem, NC, Page 104.
"John Franklin Summers and three sons, John Webster, Jesse Fred, and Jack Moore Summers owned farms at Summers, Arkansas. William was a railroad station agent, and his borther, Jack Moore Summers is in the steel broiler house construction. All of the men in this family owned or operated general merchandise stores except Jack Moore Summers.

[Note: elsewhere on Page 104, Jack Moore Summers m. May Dee Snodgrass is listed as a son of Jesse Fred Summers m. Elsie Moore and thus is a grandson of John Franklin Summers and not a son. - Del Groves]."
--------------------
Please contact me if you believe you are a descendant of my Summers kin. You can see my gedcom online at the link below (I update it quite frequently).

Thanks,
Del Groves

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=SRCH&...
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Bonnie Hylton 27 Jan 2006 5:43AM GMT 
bean59 28 Jan 2006 5:07PM GMT 
Bonne Hylton 29 Jan 2006 4:19AM GMT 
bean59 29 Jan 2006 11:39AM GMT 
Hope Ison 15 Feb 2006 3:38PM GMT 
Summers 25 Oct 2006 3:30AM GMT 
Summers 25 Nov 2006 5:45AM GMT 
samuelsummers... 13 Mar 2010 7:29PM GMT 
Bobatthebeach 14 Mar 2010 7:43AM GMT 
Del_Groves 15 Mar 2010 6:10PM GMT 
per page