Search for content in message boards

Kent Co., DE and Montgomery Co., OH Swallows (1700s-1830s)

Replies: 0

Kent Co., DE and Montgomery Co., OH Swallows (1700s-1830s)

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 3:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Swallow
I am looking for original documentation on these families in the form of digitized/scanned images. I already have access to the federal census records. What I would like is scans of whatever may prove exact dates of birth, marriage, and death for any of these folks, and also whatever may give the names of the various wives, even if just first name(s) with no maiden name(s).

For example, in my line of George (d. Abt. 1750) and then John (d. Abt. 1830), I see wives named Joannah (of various spellings), Anne Mary (also of various spellings), and Fannie (which could be a "pet" name for lots of things, but most usually is for 'Frances'). I have never seen any original item that gives any of these names. All I have ever seen is typed information that was clearly not contemporaneous.

Similarly, I see birth dates given for many of these folks, but I have never seen an original that gives any of these dates. Where do these dates come from? I see birth dates for John and about 5 of his kids. I would expect some to come from tombstones, but I've never seen any that gave birth dates.

There are some obvious issues. For example, if "Anne Mary" was born 1768, then she couldn't have been Sylvanus Swallow's mother, if he was born 1776. Related issues follow similarly.

I'd like to figure out what is REALLY known about this family, and what is unreliable family legend and lore, and what is erroneous later editorialization by others.

This thread allows file attachment. If you have any original material scanned, could you please attach it to a reply to this message?

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions