Sarah Jane Swallow

Replies: 24

Re: the swallow family

Posted: 8 Jan 2002 4:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Mar 2002 6:19PM GMT
Surnames: Swallow Chaffey
Dear Debbie.
I am also a descendent of the Swallow family of Prince Edward Island, Canada.

I have information on the genealogy of the Swallows that disagrees radically.

One Fulton "Tiny" Underhay has put his Swallow research on a PEI websit which is an excellent source of all things related to PEI. > www.islandregister.com <

"Tiny's' work starts with a William Swallow being the first to arrive in PEI. He has Robert as Williams son.

Katherine Dingwell starts her information about the Swallow family insisting that Robert Swallow was the first to arrive in PEI in abt 1812. She writes that Robert did indeed jump the British merchant ship he was on and swam ashore arriving on a beach of lot 56, Kings County, PEI. (probably near Annandale) Robert was hidden by searchers from the ship by settlers until the searching stopped, Robert eventually leased 100 acres on Lot 56, near Grand River Wharf which later became Annandale.
Robert Swallow is my gr. great grandfather. His daughter Marie married my gr. grandfather George Chaffey. George and Marie Chaffey had six children all born on 75 acres, Lot 56 etc.
Robert and his daughter, Marie (Swallow) Chaffey died on the same day in 1865. I cannot learn how they each died. If it was connected or coincidental. Marie was only 35 years old with their youngest child not yet 4.

I did have Katherine Dingwell's E-mail address, but the last couple of times I tried to send her a message it came back.

I tend to believe Katherine's version of the first generation in PEI being Robert Swallow b. abt. 1790 in Yorkshire, England.
Do you have any such animal in your "Tree"?
I have been searching on LDS web site and found one possible in Selby and one possible in Sheffeld.
I hadn't heard of the locality you mentioned.
Thanks for any information you may give me.
BE SAFE, Helen Mc
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Craig 13 Oct 2000 11:43AM GMT 
KV SWALLOW 16 Dec 2000 7:45PM GMT 
KV 18 Dec 2000 7:22AM GMT 
Debbie Ward (nee Swallow) 9 May 2001 6:02AM GMT 
Kev Swallow 25 Jul 2001 2:37AM GMT 
Debbie 31 Jul 2001 1:18PM GMT 
Kev 1 Aug 2001 4:48PM GMT 
bettybopmc 8 Jan 2002 11:11PM GMT 
Debbie Ward 10 Jan 2002 5:02PM GMT 
bettybopmc 11 Jan 2002 6:50PM GMT