Search for content in message boards

Published Swearingen Books

Replies: 15

Van Swearingen books

Frank Willis (View posts)
Posted: 16 Apr 2001 5:56PM GMT
Chris,

I also would like to know what published Swearingen book(s) or other documents would be applicable to my ancestral quest.

My great-great grandmother, Jane A. Beck (born 17 April 1819 in the Smokemont area of Swain County, NC), was the daughter of John Beck Jane Swearingen (b. 7 Oct 1785 in present day Buncombe Co, NC). Based on this and a probated will from Samuel Swearingen III, I trace my ancestry through Samuel Swearingen Sr, grandson of Gerritt Van Swearingen and the only Swearingen to emigrate to North Carolina, I believe.

In Western North Carolina, the Swearingen surname appears as "Swaringgame" (as it does in Samuel III's will). Interestingly, my ancestry intersects with the Swearingen family in two places, another being Jeremiah Stillwell, husband of Mary (a.k.a.) Polly Swearingen Stillwell - these two came to Burke County from Lincoln County, NC around 1750.

Documentation for this link (Jeremiah Stillwell - Mary/Polly Swearingen) is not as substantial as the Beck-Swearingen relationship which is the one that I use as evidence of a Van Swearingen ancestry.

I live in the enviable location of Lexington Park, Maryland, which is about 10-15 minutes from St. Mary's City, where Gerritt established his home around 1667. I have examined the local college (St. Mary's College) documents and they, too, have little on the North Carolina Swearingens. I do have correspondence with a Western North Carolina author, Donald Regan ("Smoky Mountain Ancestral Quest") about our mutual relations with the Van Swearingen line.

Recently (last year), the Maryland Historical Society made the Van Swearingen home site dig their promotional poster. I believe that he had about 5 acres near what is now St. Inigoes (which is perhaps 5-7 miles north of St. Mary's City). I have been unable to locate Gerritt's home/grave site despite living in his "backyard", so to speak.

I would love to share information with you about the Van Swearingen line. I do have some documentation with a Beck-Swearingen and a Stillwell-Swearingen connection which I obtained from a reliable distant cousin researcher in California (she mostly sends me e-copies of North Carolina wills, public documents, etc. to help answer my questions).

Thanks for posting your list of Swearingen sources. I will intern put up a list of source documents held by St. Mary's College.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Chris H. Bailey 10 Apr 2001 5:24AM GMT 
gmathis_1 14 Apr 2001 6:33PM GMT 
Cindy Wade 11 Feb 2002 5:59AM GMT 
gmathis_1 14 Apr 2001 6:40PM GMT 
ClaireD53 17 Apr 2002 8:56PM GMT 
gmathis_1 21 Apr 2002 3:26PM GMT 
Leah 23 Jul 2002 3:12AM GMT 
Roben 12 Apr 2003 3:04AM GMT 
Frank Willis 16 Apr 2001 11:56PM GMT 
Chris H. Bailey 17 Apr 2001 3:37AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions