Search for content in message boards

Published Swearingen Books

Replies: 15

Published Swearingen Books

Chris H. Bailey (View posts)
Posted: 9 Apr 2001 11:24PM GMT
A question was asked earlier about books on the Swearingen family. In compiling my own book I came upon a number and there are probably more. I found these books in the hands of private individuals or libraries. Most of them can be gotten as microfilm copies through the LDS branch genealogical library system. The following are listed chronological and may be of interest:

1. Family Historical Register, "compiled by a member of the family" (Henry Hartwell Swearingen), Washington, 1884. This was the pioneering work on the entire Swearingen family and was limited in many branches, but contained some good information in others. There were some serious errors which were corrected in the 1894 edition. This book is important for some families as it was so early that he compiler was corresponding with some older relatives.

2. Family Register of Gerret Van Sweringen and Descendants, by Henry Hartwell Swearingen. Washington: 1894. This is a revised version of #1 and details information on more lines and corrects some important errors. Curiously, the compiler actually used mostly years in this work while in his first edition he often related complete dates. So, it is good to look at both editions.

3. "Sweringen-Blanchard Family", by Frank Blanchard, Alboin, IA, 1962. This was a manuscript, but later revised and published by his daughter as American Lesans, Blanchards, Swearingens by Ruth Blanchard Knudsen, Albion, IA, 1974. It primarily deals with one branch of the family, but has important details on various Swearingen families who settled in Iowa and Missouri taken from county histories.

4. Gerrit Von Swearingen in the USA, by Lola Thoroughman alias Lola Van Swearingen, 1977. I rarely say bad things about genealogies as I know how difficult and costly they are to produce. But this book deserves no praise and has probably done more damage to Swearingen genealogy than good. A few people sent the author some credible research, but it was dumped into the book with undocumented, badly transcribed information collected from good and bad sources. This book has no editing and apparently no comparison of data as one page will give data one a family and a couple of pages away the same family will appear with conflicting data. Most information is so totally confused one cannot follow it. I have known of subscribers who paid for a second volume which was never delivered, nor money retured. The author has since disappeared, reportedly with unpaid printing bills.

5. The Swearingen Family and Descendants of Montgomery County, IN, by James Alfred McClure. Privately published, 1989. This book is limited as it primarily detailes data on the family of Charles Swearingen (1767-1848), son of John & Catherine (Stull) Swearingen. The author died shortly after it was published so distribution was probably limited.

6. Six Men Named Van Swearingen and Their Fathers, by Louise Franklin Johnson. Privately published, 1992. A superbly researched work on six early Van Swearingens with additional data on their parentage and siblings.

7. Some Descendants of Barrett and Barbara De Barrette Van Swearingen 1659-1995, by Helen G. Oldham Ph.D., (listed as revised edition). This attempts to cover the entire Swearingen family, but I found no documentation in the book and there seemed to be little new data considering the size of the book.

8. Swearingen/Vansweringen and Related Families, by Karel L. Whyte, 1999 (revised edition). Karel Whyte's book is probably the best book available for the entire Swearingen clan. Karel also continues to revise and correct her books. The index is somewhat incomplete, but this book is still in print and for $30 it is a bargain.

9. For descendants of John and Catherine (Stull) Swearingen and Charles and Susanna (Stull) Swearingen, I believe my own two volume book, "The Stulls of Millsborough" has by far the best details and documentation on about 20,000 descendants of these two couples (but not the entire Swearingen clan - get Karel Whyte's book if you are not descended from the Stull girls). Vol. 2 deals only with these two couples and their descendants and has 911 pages with the index. This book is still available and you can e-mail me for more details.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Chris H. Bailey 10 Apr 2001 5:24AM GMT 
gmathis_1 14 Apr 2001 6:33PM GMT 
Cindy Wade 11 Feb 2002 5:59AM GMT 
gmathis_1 14 Apr 2001 6:40PM GMT 
ClaireD53 17 Apr 2002 8:56PM GMT 
gmathis_1 21 Apr 2002 3:26PM GMT 
Leah 23 Jul 2002 3:12AM GMT 
Roben 12 Apr 2003 3:04AM GMT 
Frank Willis 16 Apr 2001 11:56PM GMT 
Chris H. Bailey 17 Apr 2001 3:37AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions