Search for content in message boards

Van Swearingen, Lurana B:15 Oct 1713 Gx7

Replies: 5

Re: Van Swearingen, Lurana B:15 Oct 1713 Gx7

Posted: 29 Apr 2005 1:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Teague, Swearingen, Price, Cline, Payne, Fox, Miller
I am also a Teague descendant through two lines.

There is alot of confusion about which Edward Teague. In 1948, a monument was built at the old New House Baptist Church location (now the Teague-Munday cemetery) on HWY 127 in Alexander County, North Carolina. Out of date info on it.

David Cherry put out a Teague genealogy in the late 70's called "Cousins By The Dozens" and made some corrections.

Edward Teague, Sr. (not Rev. or Baptist preacher) married Lurannah Swearingen, daughter of Thomas Swearingen II and Lydia Jane Riley.

Edward Teague, Jr. (b. 1742 in Frederick Co, VA) married Sarah (Price ?). He was actually the Baptist elder and preacher who founded New Meeting House Baptist Church in Burke (later Alex. Co), NC.

Edward Teague, Jr. had a brother named Van Swearingen Teague, Sr. (b. 1744 in Frederick Co, VA) who moved with his brothers Edward, Jr. and John to Burke County, NC. After 1796, he moved to Christian Co, Kentucky. I know a descendant of this line.

I descend through two lines from Edward Teague, Jr.'s son, Moses Teague (b. 1776 Chatham Co, NC) and wife Katie Payne/Paine from Spottsylvania County, Virginia.

The Teague family (the brothers), including Edward, Sr. and his wife Lurannah Swearingen were all Church of England. They became Baptists during the awakening at Sandy Creek and Abbotts Creek in North Carolina in the mid-1750's. Elijah Teague (brother of Edward Teague, Sr.) donated land for Abbotts Creek Baptist Church.

There is a third Edward Teague (married to Peggy McDaniel) who lived in Chatham County who is usually listed as the son of Edward, Sr. and Lurannah Swearingen. This is a mistake! He is actually too young, but may be the oldest son of Edward Teague, Jr. and Sarah (Price ?), making him a grandson of Edward, Sr. and Lurannah S.

If you're interested in more, I'm happy to share and have some pictures of the Edward Teague monument and other pics. David Cline.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
DStaffordH 26 Mar 2005 5:45AM GMT 
DavidCline96 29 Apr 2005 7:37AM GMT 
DStaffordH 29 Apr 2005 6:03PM GMT 
wanlarhan 26 Nov 2007 12:17AM GMT 
wanlarhan 26 Nov 2007 12:56AM GMT 
KClabots 4 May 2012 3:44AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic