I am trying to find a direct-male descendant of the Tates of Augusta County, Virginia, to take the yDNA test (I will pay for it) – or to identify his record at FamilyTreeDNA – so we can compare to a descendant of Joseph Tate of Ohio, who seems to fit into this family, but we can’t prove how.
Tentative Family Tree:
1. John Tate (c1718-1801) married Mary Mitchell (1724-c1792) lived near the southwest corner of the Beverley Patent on South River west of Greenville, adjoining Eleanor Mitchell and Thomas Tate, close to Francis Beatty and Samuel Doak.
. 11. James Tate (1742-1781) m.c1772 Sarah Hall. Lived in Augusta County. Capt. Tate led the Augusta County Militia to Guilford Court House, North Carolina. The famous battle was fought on property owned by his cousin Robert Mitchell.
. 12. Thomas Tate (11 Jun 1744-9 Feb 1833) m.1764 Jane Campbell (1748-1819) moved after 1790 to Washington Co, Virginia, selling land there in 1796. Died in Smythe Co, VA
. 13. Eleanor Tate (1747-1801) married c1770 Benjamin Stuart (1736-1808)
. 14. John Tate (1749-1802) married c1774 Jane (Berry or Steele) (1755-1834) State Legislator
. 15. Robert Tate (1752-1832) m.1775 Margaret Alexander McClung (1755-1839)
. 16. William Tate (20 Nov 1753-11 Feb 1830) m.c1778 Nancy Agnes Mitchell (1758-aft.1840) attended New Jersey College (Princeton University) physician, State Legislator, Washington Co.
2. Samuel Tate (c1720) returned to "The Kingdom of Ireland," and had a son William.
3. Thomas Tate (c1722) married Ann. His land in Augusta County adjoined John Tate and Eleanor Mitchell. Moved to Catawba River, Botetourt (now Roanoke) County in 1780. Differentiated from his nephew (#12) by the name of his wife.
4. James Tate (c1724-1808) m.1752 Nancy Anne Campbell (c1732-1824) lived in Mecklenburg Co, NC, 1755-1763; in Pendleton Co, SC, 1790-1808 descendants later to Franklin Co, Georgia. 8 children
5. Robert Tate (c1726-c1776) married first Margaret (d. aft1771) then married Rebecca. Land surveyed in Rowan County, North Carolina in 1753; will made 1776, probated 1779. Possibly the Robert Tate who was "hung dead" as a Tory in Old Richmond, Surry Co, NC.
6. William Tate (c1728-1792) m.1753 Elizabeth, and lived in Kershaw Co, SC. no children
7. Elizabeth Tate (1722-c1750) married William McConnell (c1720-aft 1 Nov 1772) in Rowan Co, NC.
8. daughter Tate (c1732) married Edward McClure, and lived in Pendleton Co, SC.
9. Sarah Tate (c1724?) married James Mitchell
Jim Liptrap firstname.lastname@example.org