Search for content in message boards

Thorntons of Giles Co.VA.

Replies: 6

VA Thornton's

Don D. Thornton (View posts)
Posted: 27 Oct 2000 3:33PM GMT
here is a letter about the Thornton's who came in from England around 1700.

Around 1700(about the first settling of these colonies)Hosea Thornton came from England and settled in Virginia. He had two sons, Thomas and Josiah.

Thomas migrated northwestward settling in KY and probably raised his family there and in IL.All that is know of his family is of one son Dozier and grandson William who went to Mississippi around 1810 to 1825.

Josiah emigrated southward to SC and raised his family there. He had 12 children, six of whom were boys. These were Thomas, Sparling, Isasc, Josiah, Mordica(Mordecai?) and William.

1.Thomas settled in GA. He raised four sons and several daughters. The sons were Freeling, Pinckney, Rubin(Reuben?) and Newton.
2. Sparling had three sones and two daughters. The sons were Hosea, Thomas and Richard.
3. Isaac had two sons and six daughters. The sons were Isaac and William.
4. Josiah (Jr) had ten children, five of whom were boys. They were Newton, Silas, Crockett, Miles and james.
5. William had two sons and four daughters. His sons were Lovett and William.
6. Mordica had two sons, W. Thornton and Corbin.

A copy of this letter was owned (in 1957) by Mrs. F.A.(Maurine) Wilson of Meadow, Texas, a daughter of the addressee, Zachariah Newton Thornton. Though some of its data is confusing and some has yet to be substantiated, a large portion of it can be documented.

I hope this helps some. I'm very new to all this. My information comes from a book written by an aunt and a cousin here in Texas.
Don D. Thornton
HTTP://DThorntonMinistries.homepage.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Charlotte 5 Oct 2000 10:32AM GMT 
Don D. Thornton 27 Oct 2000 9:33PM GMT 
Don D. Thornton 27 Oct 2000 9:33PM GMT 
leslieahayes 5 Jan 2001 5:55AM GMT 
Don D. Thornton 9 Jan 2001 10:52PM GMT 
BettieHinchey... 10 Oct 2003 9:31PM GMT 
rickyjnusa 21 Jun 2003 12:39AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions