Posted: 20 Apr 2012 12:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Sure thing!

I sent a request into the following address:
New York City Police Department
Personnel Resource Unit
1 Police Plaza Room 1014A
New York, NY 10018

I suggest you include as much information as you can - all I had at the time was his name, a possible death year and his addresses from the 1900 and 1910 censuses.

I also sent in a self-addressed, stamped envelope - not sure if they prefer it or not. They did not use mine and sent the info back in a large envelope.

I'm very happy with just the cards I got back as it tied a few things together for me. But, one of my cousins received a package back from the NYPD with his great-grandfather's records and they were a few inches thick and had a photo - so you never know what you'll get!

By the way - don't forget to search for your GGF in the NY Times historical papers as well as try looking him up in Google Books.

The municipal services published roster and assignment changes in the Times, so you may get some extra hints at his precincts or time taken off in those.

On Google Books I found some old almanac listings with my GGF's name as the secretary of the Traffic Police Benevolent Association. It turned out they still exist and a current board member was actually able to send me a photo of their first muster. Neat stuff.

Best of luck!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
tierneyjohnj 14 Jun 2010 9:08PM GMT 
tierneyjohnj 25 Aug 2010 7:03PM GMT 
jnicholasadam... 26 Aug 2010 8:44PM GMT 
tierneyjohnj 26 Aug 2010 8:53PM GMT 
jnicholasadam... 26 Aug 2010 9:55PM GMT 
tierneyjohnj 27 Aug 2010 2:31PM GMT 
HerrKraut 20 Apr 2012 5:38PM GMT 
tierneyjohnj 20 Apr 2012 6:05PM GMT 
HerrKraut 20 Apr 2012 9:39PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions