I have been working on my Tierney genealogy and thought it might be a good idea to post a message here for posterity.
While a family story hints that our Tierneys originated somewhere in Roscommon I have not found any source evidence as of yet.
My paper-based genealogy currently reaches back on the paternal side to my great-grandfather Michael Tierney, born about 1859 in Ireland. He emigrated to NY about 1880 and married Anna McDonald* about 1888. They lived on E 35th Street from about 1890 to some time after 1910.
*Anna/Annie McDonald's surname needs source verification.
Michael was a NY City Policeman and we believe died about 1913. We think Anna died about 1936, possibly in Queens NY since some of her children were living there.
(I am ordering LDS films to try and track the family's births and deaths now.)
Michael & Anna's children were: Margaret, Annie, John, "Michael Edward" (or vice versa) and Thomas.
- Margaret married John Gleason and had children: Marie, John, Edmund, Thomas, Margaret, Anna, Virginia.
- Annie married William O'Malley and had children William and Ethel.
- John (my grandfather) married Sabina Gilroy and had Anna, Winifred (died abt 3 years old), John & Sabina. His wife Sabina and child Winifred died in the Spanish Influenza Epidemic in 1918.
John then married Mary Egan (my grandmother) and had Michael Tierney (my father).
- Michael Edward may have died in 1936
- Thomas did not marry and died in Queens, NY in 1975. He worked for Railway Express Co.
The 1900 census shows Michael's mother Margaret (b 1845) living with them in NYC, but that is the only record I have of her so far. We are not sure if her husband died in Ireland and then she emigrated or if they were both here before then.
My immediate goals are to see if my great-grandparents Michael & Anna Tierney both had other family in New York City (or the US) and to determine their Townlands in Ireland. Also, I'd like to find any of the Gleason family.
Of course, any other information is welcome. ;)
You can find my tree on Ancestry.com here: http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/1670034/family/pedigree
Or on Rootsweb here: http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=jjt_ny