Search for content in message boards

Ebenezer TITUS b. 1782 VA > KY > MO

Replies: 8

Re: Ebenezer TITUS b. 1782 VA > KY > MO

Posted: 14 Feb 2003 9:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Mar 2003 9:55AM GMT
Surnames: TITUS-O'Dell
John, I am replying to your message posted here concerning the statement given by Ebenezer Titus. If I remember correctly, Ebenezer Titus made this statement publicly, as it was put before those staunch Southern Sympathizers after the Civil War, that all would be "forgiven", and they could again vote, if they would just pledge allegiance to the Union. This speech was Ebenezer's answer to the Union. Concerning the Titus family, they forgot to put stubborn between the word "staunch" and the word "southern". Ebenezer would not forsake his family history and its' beliefs. In his speech, he gives us all a reason to stand up and be proud Titus descendants. Just to let those who are interested and who are family know that this Ebenezer Titus is John C. Titus', Thomas and Noah's grandfather. He was Mary Polly's father. He was also Joseph's uncle, Mary Polly's husband, as Mary Polly Titus-Titus and Joseph Titus were first cousins. I hope I didn't make this too confusing.
I had the pleasure of reading Ebenezer's last will and testament. In it he does not leave anything to Noah Titus, and he made mention of it, but did leave his share to his descendants. We still aren't clear as to why, but perhaps it has something to do with the fact that Noah was never "pardoned", as were John C. and Thomas Titus. Noah was never recaptured as were John and Thomas. The pardon was issued by Gov. Benjamin Gratz Brown. His mansion is an historical landmark today in the state of Missouri.
Also to note: Some researchers are confusing their JOHN C. TITUS with OUR JOHN C. TITUS. Their John C. Titus is a cousin to our John C Titus. I have seen written in documents at the Clay County Historical Library where the researchers claim that their John C. Titus was definitely married to at least 2 different women, one named Carolyn and they state that it can be proven. That much is true, their John C. did marry a Carolyn. Only one problem, their John C. doesn't have the same siblings nor does he have the same parentage as does our John C. Titus. And not only that, but our John C. Titus was married to only one woman, and her name was Jenetta Catharine O'Dell, daughter of Isaac and Eleanor Riggs-O'Dell. Our John C. Titus died in December of 1900 in Fannin Co., Tx, and after his death, his wife Jenetta moved into Oklahoma to be with her children who had moved there from Fannin Co., earlier. She didn't pass away until August of 1909.
I hope this is of some use to someone.
I am a descendant of John C. Titus.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JohnWOBrien 22 Jul 2002 4:50PM GMT 
pjumbelick1 24 Jul 2002 12:55AM GMT 
bellecache3 14 Feb 2003 4:23PM GMT 
HunterJohnsto... 2 Mar 2003 1:18AM GMT 
Bill Arthurs 15 Mar 2003 6:14PM GMT 
HunterJohnsto... 15 Mar 2003 6:28PM GMT 
Bill Arthurs 15 Mar 2003 6:46PM GMT 
BlueTigerDanc... 20 Oct 2012 1:34PM GMT 
BlueTigerDanc... 22 Oct 2012 7:52PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions