Ebenezer TITUS b. 1782 VA > KY > MO

Replies: 8

Ebenezer TITUS b. 1782 VA > KY > MO

Posted: 22 Jul 2002 10:50AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: MATHEWS, MCCORKLE, TITUS
published in the "Liberty Tribune" Clay County, Missouri

September 23, 1870

Ebenezer TITUS: I was born in Augusta County, Virginia on the 11th April 1782. My forefathers were a stiff necked, and rebellious people when their rights and liberties were invaded. They fought against Great Britain 7 years for their independence, in which my uncle George MATHEWS, was conspicuous. He was an officer during the war, taken prisoner, but in what battle I know not. After the war was over, he emigrated to the State of Georgia, was there elected Governor, and held that office when State ratified the Constitution of the United States and signed his name to it.

My father emigrated to Kentucky in 1782. He built the first water mill that was ever built in Madison County. About this time he joined the Separate Baptists - continued with them until 1800, when the union took place between the regular and separate Baptists, which took place at the big meeting house in Madison County, Kentucky. I was present and heard the terms of union agreed upon. Shortly after the union took place, about 700 of the Separate Baptists withdrew from the union. A great many of them embraced the doctrine of Arius and Sebcineous. My father continued in the union and from the time he first embraced religion, his time was partly spent in beseeching and praying the people where God in his providence cast his lot, to be reconciled to God, and to seek the Lord while he might be found, and to call upon him while he was near. He died in Howard County, Missouri on the 23rd of April 1838.

I joined the United Baptist in 1818; have been both Clerk and Deacon until the infirmity of old age forbid. In 1824 I emigrated to Missouri, lived in Howard County 18 years; then moved to Ray County in 1842 - lived there until 1869, when I lost my beloved and ever affectionately remembered companion. I then divided my household and kitchen furniture and part of my land between my children. I now live with my son-in-law, John MCCORKLE, and my daughter Elizabeth.

If the illustrious dead participate with the concerns of this world, I invoke the shade of my venerable departed father and uncle to look down with scrutiny on the conduct of their disfranchised son and nephew, and see if he ever has departed from rectitude which was their good pleasure to instill into his youthful mind, or if he ever hesitated to support, defend and protect the Government which they fought seven years to establish. I was an old line Whig, but shall henceforth vote with the Democrats if permitted.

(I have no connection with this family; but, if you found this to be of value, please let me know.)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JohnWOBrien 22 Jul 2002 4:50PM GMT 
pjumbelick1 24 Jul 2002 12:55AM GMT 
bellecache3 14 Feb 2003 4:23PM GMT 
HunterJohnsto... 2 Mar 2003 1:18AM GMT 
Bill Arthurs 15 Mar 2003 6:14PM GMT 
HunterJohnsto... 15 Mar 2003 6:28PM GMT 
Bill Arthurs 15 Mar 2003 6:46PM GMT 
BlueTigerDanc... 20 Oct 2012 1:34PM GMT 
BlueTigerDanc... 22 Oct 2012 7:52PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic