Search for content in message boards

Titus families of England other than Silas?

Replies: 0

Titus families of England other than Silas?

Posted: 6 Mar 2012 5:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Mar 2012 5:19PM GMT
Surnames: Titus, Tito Newdyke, Colley
My family descends from Abiel1, son of Robert.
I was amusing myself searching for any information about the Silas (called Silius Tito) that I could find seeing as many people have assumed that Robert, our ancestor, is the unproven son of a first marriage between Silius and Jane Newdyke who died ca 1621 according to accounts, after which Silius married Constance Colley.

Some things stood out for me while researching:

1. Silius apparently left a will under "Sylas Tyto" of p. St, Andrew Holborn, London (121 Lee) pr. Oct 5 by Relict Constance, This is under Yearbook of Probates (from 1630), abstracts of. Has anyone ever seen this will and commented?

2. After the period of Jane Newdyke's, his first wife's death, he was involved in a contracted lawsuit with his former father in law, Robert Newdyke.

3. Why would the son of his second marriage (Silas Titus II) have garnered so many educational benefits (Christ Church, etc.) and be in such a close position to royalty (apparently even Silius Sr. was given lands in 1606-07 by King James) whereas Robert, apparently was not similarly educated or wealthy? This alone makes me question the connection. Both Silius and Newdyke were well to do and any children of that match should have likewise benefitted. I believe Robert described himself as a Yeoman. Silas Jr. was an Esquire.

In naming conventions of the time, wouldn't Robert have named at least one of his five sons "Silas" if that was his father's name? The most common male name among his children's sons is "John", then Silas.

Titus is not a terribly common name in Great Britain even now, but I haven't seen anyone follow up on any names outside of Silius Tito in what is written online.
I had seen a reference to French seal on a letter to the Pope for a "Henry Tytys" in 1301 AD.

Can anyone cite any research that was done on other Titus families who may not have any lines in America?

Find a board about a specific topic