I have found the births of some of the children of Joshua and Ann Tober(r)y in Frederick. They were in a transcript of the Evangelical Lutheran Church. Surprisingly they were transcribed as Dovery, Dowery, Dowera, Dovera & Dovrie. This church is comprised of both Germans and others. The minister was usually German and D's and T's sound remarkably alike in German.
Luckily more than one child was included in the transcription, so I could determine that it was the right family.
There are two children of Thomas given:
1. Thomas Dovery and wife Darkey (possibly Dorcas)son Robert was born 2 May 1786 and baptized 8 Sept 1786. The sponor was Josia Witnell.
2. Thomas Dovrie & wife Darke, daughter Mary b. 6 Jan 1784 and baptized 16 Oct 1784, sponsors were parents.
There were three children for Joshua and Ann
1. Joshua Dowery & Nancy - daughter Ann b. Sept 28, 1777, baptized 29 November, sponsors were parents.
2. Joshua & Ann Dovera - son Joshua b. 6 Oct. 1783 and baptized 25 Oct, sponsors were Mary Morris and parents.
3. Joshua Dovera & Ann - son William b. 29 May 1792 and baptized 16 Oct, sponsors were parents.
Another daughter was:
Elizabeth Born to a Joseph (should be Joshua) & Ann Tovery - p. 56
b. 30 Apr 1786 bap. Nov 13 1786 sponsors were Conrad & Christina Becker
Records of the Evangelica Reformed Church in Frederick, Maryland, 1746-1800
Translations by William J. Hinke and E.W. Reinecke
Family Line Publications, Silver Spring, MD, 1986, p.l 56
Another son was Thomas, mentioned in the will of Joshua in 1807.
Joshua also mentions in his will a son John as being his natural son.
This has to be either a transcription error or the problem between German and English.
Any thoughts on this?