Search for content in message boards

Michael Turnbull (b1794) and family of Houghton Le Spring, Durham England

Replies: 0

Michael Turnbull (b1794) and family of Houghton Le Spring, Durham England

Posted: 2 Nov 2013 10:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Nov 2013 10:55AM GMT
Surnames: Turnbull, Beans, Shenvill
I've traced my Turnbull line back to a Michael Turnbull, born ~1794 in Houghton Le Spring and his wife Margaret, whose last name may have been Shenvill (according to a death certificate of their daughter, Elizabeth).

Their children were John, George, Ralph, Michael and Elizabeth. They immigrated to the US in 1842, settling in Steubenville, Ohio. I have the ship record for the family's passage but John wasn't with them. John was the eldest of the children and the only one married when the rest of the family left England. He also married a woman named Margaret but I don't have a clue as to her surname.

John and his wife Margaret also moved to Steubenville but must have come over shortly after the rest of the family because Margaret gave birth on the ship to my great-grandmother Harriett. (who married James Beans) I can't find that ship record but various sources say Harriet was born on the ship. There are conflicting dates for Harriet's birth. Her headstone says 1844, censuses have her born at 1846 or 47.

I am trying to find the maiden name of John's wife, Margaret, who gave birth on the ship, and also would like to find more about John's parents, Michael and Margaret (whose last name may be Shenvill or something similar.) Does anyone out there have any info that could help me with this line?

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions