Search for content in message boards

find ancestors of Van Fleet

Replies: 41

Re: Abraham Van Fleet

Posted: 5 Jul 2002 11:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
The Abraham Fleet mentioned below, is Abraham Fleet Sr. (Abraham Van Vliet) who came from Netherlands > Holland > NJ & NY line.)

Abraham (Van Vliet) Fleet married at least 3 times. He married a Mary Switzer, and members of her family are below. (I think Henry Switzer was her father):
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1810 Wayne, Steuben Co., NY
Federal Census
Part of the Steuben Co., NY GenWeb pages

1810 Steuben Index
Steuben GenWeb


......................................Males...................Females

Head of Household
0
to 10
10
to 16
16
to 26
26
to 45
45 +


0
to 10
10
to 16
16
to 26
26
to 45
45 +
all other free persons, except Indians not taxed; number of slaves


Switzer, Jacob
1
2
0
1
0

0
0
1
0
0


Switzer, Henry
3
0
0
1
0

0
0
0
1
0

Switzer, Henry
0
1
1
0
1

0
1
1
0
1


Fleet, Abraham
4
0
0
1
0

1
2
0
1
0
-------------------------------------------------------------
GAZETTEER OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK,

COUNTY BOUNDARY CHANGES

Schuyler co., NY was formed in 1854 from
Chemung, Tompkins, & Steuben counties,
but has remnants of other earlier counties:

The area of Schuyler co., NY was first called:
Tryon co.,NY...................................................................................................1772 - 1781
re-named Montgomery co.,NY.......................................................................1781 - 1791
Tioga co.,NY (incl. Catharine, Cayuta, Catlin, Montour) formed.................1791 (from Montgomery co.)
Steuben co.,NY (incl. Wayne, Tyrone, Orange) formed.................................1796 (from Ontario co.)
(Ontario co.,NY was formed in 1789 from Montgomery)
Seneca co.,NY (incl. Hector/Ulysses) formed ...............................................1804 (from Cayuga co.)
(Cayuga co. formed in 1799 from Onondaga which formed in 1794 from the Military Tract.)
Tompkins co.,NY (incl. Cayuta, Hector) formed ..........................................1817 (from Cayuga & Seneca co.)
Chemung co.,NY (Catharine, Montour, Dix-Catlin) formed ........................1836 (from Tioga co.)
Schuyler co., NY formed............................................................................... 1854 (from all of the above)

(This speaks of HENRY SWITZER):

Town of Orange, Schuyler co., NY
Orange was formed from Wayne, Steuben co., NY on Feb. 12, 1813 as "Jersey" and on Feb. 20, 1836 the name was changed to "Orange", on the division of "Jersey" which lost its existence at that time, being formed into Orange and Bradford. On Apr. 11, 1842, a part of Hornby [Stueben co.] was annexed, and on Apr. 17, 1854, a small part of Bradford [Steuben co.]. It lies in the southwest corner of Schuyler county, being bounded east by the pre-emption line. It contains 32,000 acres, and its surface is a rolling and hilly upland broken by irregular valleys. Mead's Creek, flowing south-west, forms the principal drainage.
Monterey (Orange P.O.) situated on Mead's Creek in the south part of Orange. It has 3 churches, a gristmill, 2 inns, and 3 stores, with about 200 inhabitants.
Sugar Hill is a post office in the north-east part of the town of Orange.
Mead's Creek is a post office in the south-western part of Orange.
East Orange is a post office in the east part of the town of Orange, near the line of Dix.
Pine Creek is a post office north of the center of the town of Orange.
Settlement was begun in 1799 by Abraham Rosenback and Samuel Scomp, north-east of Monterey. Henry Switzer from New Jersey settled in Swizer Hill in 1820. D. Hewitt from Rensselaer Co.,NY was the first settler in Monterey, in 1811. Asa Nash was the first settler in Monterey in 1811. Abner and Thomas Hurd, and Brigham Young (the Mormon leader), were early settlers in the northeast part of the town. Mr. Chapman, Wm. Wilkins, Wm. DeWitt, Andrew Foot /Fort, Daniel Curtis, and Jedediah Miller settled on Mead's Creek in 1811. David Kimball and his brother Moses Kimball, John Dyer, Sylvester Goodrich and 3 men by the name of Hewett settled in the town a few years later. Joshua Chamberlain came into the town and purchased the land where the village of Monterey stands, of a man named DeWitt. The north-east part of the town, known as "Sugar Hill", did not receive its name from any considerable elevation in that place, but from the following circumstance: In this place was a fine grove of maples, and the early settlers in the adjacent region, having in their hunting excursions discovered that there were no settlers upon this land, were accustomed to resort thither in the spring and manufacture a supply of sugar for the year; hence the name "Sugar Hill". Settlement in this vicinity was commenced about 1819 or 1820. Lewis Nichols, William Webb, Thomas Horton, Abraham and John Allen, Ebenezer Beach, Mr. Eveleth, Seymour Lockwood and two families of Comptons, were among the first settlers. Dr. Hibbard and Abraham Lybolt came about the year 1821. After that, the town was rapidly settled, with the land office in Bath, NY. Elsie Switzer was the first child born. The first school was taught by Daniel McDougall, in 1819, near Monterey. Thomas Hurd kept the first inn, in 1816 at Monterey, and Walter Hurd the first store, south-west of the same place. The first church (M.E.) was formed by Rev. Peregrine Hallett, the first preacher. The population of the town of Orange was 2,094 in 1865.
------------------------------
(speaks of Abraham Fleet Sr. & Simon Fleet (again...Abraham Fleet Sr. is of the Van Vliet Netherlands>Holland line):

Town of Tyrone, Schuyler co., NY
Tyrone was formed from Wayne, Steuben co. April 16, 1822. It is the northwest corner town in Schuyler county. Its surface is an elevated upland divided into several ridges by the valleys of the streams. Its principal stream is Mud Creek, flowing south-west to the Conhocton. Little Lake, upon the west border, is about 3 miles long and about 1 mile wide; and Mud Lake, in the south-west corner, is 2 miles long and about 3/4 miles wide. These lakes lie in deep valleys, and are bordered by steep precipitous hills which rise 300-400 feet above them.
Tyrone P.O. a little east of Mud Lake, in the south part of the town, contains 2 churches, a hotel, 1-2 gristmills, 2-3 sawmills, 4 tanneries, 6 stores, a cidermill, several manufactories, and 210-300 inhabitants.
Weston P.O., 3/4 mile northwest of Tyrone, contains 2 churches, a hotel, several stores and mechanic shops and 177-250 inhabitants (depending on source).
Altay P.O. a little east of the center of town, contains a church, a hotel, a store, a tannery, 2 sawmills, a steam flouring mills, and 144 inhabitants;
Wayne P.O. in the northwest corner of the town, at the head of Little Lake, has 3 churches, a hotel, store and 2 groceries. A small part of the village lies in Steuben co. Pop. 165.
Pine Grove P.O. a hamlet in the south-east part of the town of Tyrone; contains a church and six houses.
The first settlement was made in 1800, by Gen. Wm. Kernan, of Ireland, on a lot on a tract of 4,000 acres, purchased by Thomas O'Connor, of County Roscommon, Ireland. Mr. O'Connor was among the early settlers and resided for a time in a log house on a hill near Little Lake. He was accompanied by a son and daughter--the former of whom is Hon. Charles O'Connor, the eminent New York City lawyer. A large number of Irish emigrants settled upon the O'Connor Tract, but after a few years all left but Gen. Kernan. Abraham Fleet, Sr., from New Jersey, and Capt. John Seabring were among the first settlers near Tyrone Village in 1800; Benjamin Sackett, Thaddeus Gersham, Abraham Bennett and Jonathan Townsend settled about 1801. Simon Fleet was the first child born in town. The first school was taught at Tyrone Village by Hugh Jameson; the first inn was kept by Capt. Williams, and the first store by Thomas O'Connor, near the northwest corner of the town. The first mill and factory were erected at Tyrone Village by Ralph Opdyke. The first church edifice (Union) was erected by the Presbyterians and Baptists; Rev.Joseph Crawford (Presb.) and Rev. Van Rensselaer Wall (Bap.) were the first preachers. There are now (c.1872) 7 churches: 3 Bap., 2 Presb., and 2 M.E. The population of the town in 1865 was 2,073.
---------------------------------------
(This is Abraham Fleet Sr. (Van Vliet) son, Abraham, who came from NY/NJ area after buying a farm in Carthage, Jasper Co., MO. (When he went to California to pan for gold, he did very well. On his way back to NY/NJ, he bought this "Fleet farm". He then came to the farm in 1862 with his daughter "Mattie" (either Martha or Margaret) & her husband Alfred Lamkin. (do an internet search for "Alfred Lamkin Diaries".)

FLEET, ABRAM
State: MO Year: 1870
County: Jasper County Record Type: Federal Population Schedule
Township: North Fork Township Page: 143
Database: MO 1870 Federal Census Index

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steuben Co, NY 1840 census:

Abraham Fleet - head of household &

1 male; >20 <30
1 male; >60 <70
3 female; >5 <10
1 female; >40 <50
--------------------------------------------
1850 NY, Steuben Co., Tyrone TWSP:
household # 82:
Abraham Fleet - 84 - farmer, b. NEW JERSEY
Elizabeth Fleet, 61, b. NY
Eleanor Fleet, 21, b. NY

household # 83:
John Fleet - 33 - farmer, b. NY
Julia Fleet, 33, b. NY
David Fleet, 8, b. NY
Edgar Fleet, 4, b. NY
Ellen J Fleet, 1/12, b. NY
--------------------------------------------------------------
"Old Wills found at Schuyler Co., NY courthouse:

FLEET Abraham Sr aged 76 - will dated 14 Aug 1852 - probated date 23 Dec 1852 - Tyrone - wife Elizabeth, 5 children - Ann Wood, Elsa Switzer, Marie Wolverton, Nelly Jane Fleet, Abram Fleet Jr - another child mentioned John - executor son Henry S, friend Edwin D Tompkins & Darius Sunderlin - witnessed by Isaac Hill & Nicholas Jessop both of Tyrone.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I spoke to an 80 year old woman, who was of the line of the Abraham Fleet (who moved from NY/NJ area to MO.)
She told me of the background of her family. She stated that they "came from the Netherlands, then went to Holland. From Holland, they then settled in the NY & NJ areas. - She has family documentation that she has sent to my aunt, that verifies this information.) - This woman lives in Carthage, Jasper Co., MO., and is kinned directly to the Abraham Fleet (Van Vliet) who came from NY/NJ to MO.

Hope this helps in some way.

Please contact me at billiemichele@directvinternet.com, if you need further information.



SubjectAuthorDate Posted
leahperna42 5 Jul 2002 5:48PM GMT 
leahperna42 5 Jul 2002 6:00PM GMT 
HaroldWells 18 Jan 2007 10:48PM GMT 
leahperna42 5 Jul 2002 6:04PM GMT 
leahperna42 5 Jul 2002 6:09PM GMT 
leahperna42 5 Jul 2002 6:31PM GMT 
leahperna42 5 Jul 2002 6:34PM GMT 
leahperna42 5 Jul 2002 6:42PM GMT 
leahperna42 5 Jul 2002 6:47PM GMT 
leahperna42 5 Jul 2002 7:00PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic