Researching: James Finch Waddell b. 7 June, 1851, Barony, Burgh of Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland. Successful architect who worked in Hong Kong in the 1880's and 1890's for the Government and Taikoo Sugar Refinery, Quarry Bay, Hong Kong.
First Marriage: to unknown
- Daughter Elizabeth (aka Bessie), born about 1881-83, Greenock, Renfrewshire, Scotland. Raised by Elizabeth Waddell Park, sister of James Waddell (and wife of Moses Park). Bessie moved to Hong Kong at some point after the 1891 Scotland Census and returned to Scotland with her father, James Waddell and stepmother, Elisabeth (Ross) Waddell in 1899.
Second Marriage: to Elizabeth Jones
- only daughter of Robert Jones, Greenock on 28 Oct 1885 at Hong Kong. She died 29 July 1886, possibly in childbirth. Child also died.
Third Marriage: to Elisabeth Ross
- Elisabeth b. 15 March, 1871 to Alexander Ross, Journeyman Baker and Jane Ross (maiden surname Johnston), 11 James St., Calton, Glasgow.
- They married in Hong Kong and had a child, Dorothy Waddell about 1896-97. She died there during her first year.
- Elisabeth became very ill while expecting her second child, so they returned to Scotland in Aug, 1899.
- Their son James Finch Waddell (Jr) was born 27 Jan, 1900 in Scotland. They relocated to St. Johns, Leyton, London, England, as per 1901 Census, where their daughter, Mary Alexandra Waddell was born 17 Aug, 1901.
- James Finch Waddell, Sr. fell from scaffolding and died in London, England likely between 1905-1907, of his injuries (after spending some time in a nursing home), . Elizabeth Ross Waddell re-married (George Howe Osborne) and they emigrated to Saskatchewan, Canada.
I have been unable to confirm the siblings and ancestry of James Finch Waddell (Sr), as there appear to be errors in some family charts on the Ancestry website. If you are able to provide any information, I would be very grateful!