Search for content in message boards

Waddell/Rymer

Replies: 13

Re: Waddell/Rymer

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 11:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
Thanks! This is useful information. I'd be happy to give you access to my tree on Ancestry where you can see the information I have more easily. My email is nftaylorscotland @gmail.com.

I traced Elizabeth Rymer through the d/c of her son James Gilchrist who died in 1864. His daughter Elizabeth Rymer Gilchrist died in Haddington in 1910. What you say about the Waddells looking down on Margaret Bonnar is interesting. James Gilchrist was an iron moulder and died in what I assume was an industrial accident. If his mother Elizabeth was the daughter of landed gentry and his father Joseph a surgeon it does seem odd that their son became an iron moulder. She then marries Archibald (a writer?) and their son becomes a coal miner. It seems that the wealth was lost!

I saw from the accounts of the court case that the Rymers owned Cliftonhill and had plantations in the BVI. I believe that a lot of families lost considerably after the end of the slave trade in the early 19th cent and teh Rymers may have been one of them.

I'm not sure about the Bristol connection. I know that's what Coatbridge Museum thinks but....

I have a copy of John Rymer jnr's will from Scotlands People and this mentions his sister Elizabeth who married a John Faulds (iron founder) in Edinburgh. I found Elizabeth Faulds in the Census records and her death certificate. This gives her parents as John Rhymer (landed proprietor) and her mother as Elizabeth Frith.

I can only find one marriage between a John Rymer and Elizabeth Frith and that was 27 Sep 1758 in Formby in Lancashire. The Rymer (Rimmer) name seems to have originated around the area of Formby, Ormskirk and Southport so that makes some sense.

So, it's a bit slender but, is, at least, an alternative to the idea that they must have been from Bristol because they called their estate Cliftonhill. Clifton is quite a common name and Lancashire has a couple of places called Clifton.

If I can, I want to try to visit Coatbridge museum (I work nearby) to see if they have more evidence either way. What a shame that the vast wealth disappeared :-)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
wedgelee65 19 Nov 2007 12:08PM GMT 
mpanozzo1 2 Dec 2007 12:49AM GMT 
blm67 3 Dec 2007 6:13PM GMT 
wedgelee65 4 Dec 2007 12:34AM GMT 
nftaylorscotl... 1 Dec 2012 4:07PM GMT 
wedgelee65 3 Dec 2012 11:57AM GMT 
nftaylorscotl... 3 Dec 2012 6:55PM GMT 
gabrielle bak... 4 Dec 2012 3:05AM GMT 
nftaylorscotl... 4 Dec 2012 10:48AM GMT 
wedgelee65 5 Dec 2012 1:49AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions