Search for content in message boards

Waddell/Rymer

Replies: 13

Re: Waddell/Rymer

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 4:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
Great to hear from another Waddell/Rymer/Gilchrist family member. The Waddells were actually my partner's ancestors- his great grandmother, Agnes Topping Waddell (who married a McConnell) came to Australia in 1924 with some of her chidren. I have talked to my father-in-law and his sister who said that Agnes said that her mother, Margaret Bonner, had always been looked down upon by her husband, Alexander Waddell's family. As he had been a coal miner we wondered why until I came across the Rymer Waddell connection. I didn't know that Elizabeth and her husband Joseph Gilchrist had a son either.
I have presumed that Elizabeth was born in Tortola (or somewhere in the British Virgin Islands) since there seems to be no birth record in Scotland.
Alexander Waddell died on November 18, 1916 aged 75 years while living at 23 Springhill Rd, Stane, Cambusnethan. He was listed as a retired boiler fireman. The witness was James Waddell (actually his step-son that took the name Waddell).His father is listed as Archibald Douglas Waddell (deceased) Writer and Mother Elizabeth Rimmer (Rymer)(deceased). I have Archibald Douglas Waddell being born or baptised on 17 Feb 1799 in New Monkland. His father was Alexander Waddell and his mother was Mary Steel. Archibald Douglas Waddell and Elizabeth Rymer had three children that I know of - Alexander Waddell, Mary Steel Waddell and Elizabeth Waddell.
Mary Steel Waddell emigrated to Victoria, Australia and one of her descendants and I have been trying to find out more information on the Waddells and Rymers. It seems that the Rymers originally enjoyed vast wealth and lived on the Cliftonhill estate in Scotland. The Rymers (and their property name) we think originally came from the "Clifton" area of Bristol in England which was an upmarket and affluent area inhabited by the very wealthy who had interests in the slavery and tobacco trade. There are Rymers living there but I haven't been able to identify who was directly related to John Rymer Snr. I would be grateful for any information you may have gleaned and hope that what I have is correct or helpful to you in some way.
Regards,
Wedgelee
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
wedgelee65 19 Nov 2007 12:08PM GMT 
mpanozzo1 2 Dec 2007 12:49AM GMT 
blm67 3 Dec 2007 6:13PM GMT 
wedgelee65 4 Dec 2007 12:34AM GMT 
nftaylorscotl... 1 Dec 2012 4:07PM GMT 
wedgelee65 3 Dec 2012 11:57AM GMT 
nftaylorscotl... 3 Dec 2012 6:55PM GMT 
gabrielle bak... 4 Dec 2012 3:05AM GMT 
nftaylorscotl... 4 Dec 2012 10:48AM GMT 
wedgelee65 5 Dec 2012 1:49AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions