Search for content in message boards

walling family history and DNA

Replies: 4

walling family history and DNA

Posted: 21 Oct 2012 1:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
there are different family lines and apparently two major families of Wallings, one German the other from England. My branch of the family is believed to have come from the historical west riding of Yorkshire (Elmet), and first settled at Plymouth and then in north smithfield Rhode Island, personally my family did live in that same area until very recently, and many wallings/wallens do decend from this location as well. I am in the process of doing deep clade research and have found that my family line which includes the other surnames walden/wallen as interchangable/regional surnames, the my belief is , and by looking at the etymology behind the name, I believe that it is in reference to "Wealh", or the root word associated with wales, there are lots of "wal" names that I think are related ancestrally as the original inhabitants of Britain, or the "celtic Britons", so the surname could be more of an ethnic designation turned into a surname. The surname walling = wealh+ingas, meaning people of wealhs, wallen = wealh+enius, meaning place of the wealhs, and walden = wealh=dun, meaning valley of the wealhs. The interesting thing is that the eytomology matches each name and the DNA of people with these surnames matches exactly,,eluding to the understanding of our ancestors of relation to the name in that regard. I have tested as L21 and also under that as DF13, both are very prevalent in the "celtic Fringe", and I think that coupled with the possible etymology of the names suggests that one branch of the walling/wallen/walden family goes back to pre anglo-saxon Britain. if anyone would like to discuss this topic and or get involve with the DNA research please contact me, thanks
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jwalling28 21 Oct 2012 7:35AM GMT 
wallbris 9 Apr 2013 3:09AM GMT 
smokyblacksmi... 8 May 2013 3:03AM GMT 
wallbris 5 Jun 2013 2:27AM GMT 
wallbris 14 Nov 2013 2:33AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic