Search for content in message boards

James Watson

Replies: 12

Re: Watson/Hooper 'feud'

Posted: 13 Feb 2006 3:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Watson, Alexander
The James Watson mentioned here:

>>>>>i am looking for james watson. the 1860 census placed him in carolinas. he married martha johnson. thier children were james edward,william[will],frisson or edgar,hattie[she married a fields]and lavonia.james was reportly beaten to death with a singletree from a wagon and frisson is said to have shot and killed the man who killed his dad. any information would be welcomed>>>>>

is not the James Watson who was killed during the Watson-Hooper feud of Jackson County, NC. The family that was involved in this particular feud was that of Moses and Elizabeth Picklesimer Watson (interestingly enough, Elizabeth was the granddaughter of Absolam Hooper). They had 11 sons and 1 daughter; it is believed that Moses and sons William, James (who married Elizabeth Alexander from Pickens Dist., SC, by the way), and Thomas were killed by some Hoopers, one of whom was Yankee Bill Hooper. Moses, William and James were killed at one time; Thomas and supposedly one or two other brothers were killed at another time and at another location, though the amount of time which lapsed between the two events could not have been that long.

James and Elizabeth Alexander Watson had four children: Daniel, James, Elizabeth, and Lavina. Daniel was my great-great-grandfather. The tale was passed down to me through my grandfather Watson's eldest sister, who heard it from Daniel. Daniel and his brother, James, apparently witnessed their father's death. Their mother, who had just given birth to Lavina, took them back to Pickens Dist., SC, where she and the baby died and were buried. It is only because of their deaths that I have been able to pinpoint when the feud may have happened. Lavina's tombstone gives her year of birth as 1864 and her year of death as 1865, and so, James, his father, and his brothers were probably killed in 1864 while Elizabeth was laying in from Lavina's birth.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Mary Watson 21 Dec 1999 4:40PM GMT 
Pam Watson 23 Dec 1999 8:15AM GMT 
mert61 26 Dec 1999 3:35PM GMT 
Pam Watson 8 Jan 2000 6:47PM GMT 
Gwenda Waldroup 11 Mar 2000 11:47AM GMT 
AngieWinchest... 25 Feb 2003 5:03PM GMT 
Dawn Watson 13 Feb 2006 10:37PM GMT 
BByers66 1 Aug 2006 8:13PM GMT 
CherylRearick 10 May 2008 3:37PM GMT 
CherylRearick 9 May 2008 8:17PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions