Search for content in message boards

Webb family from Elizabeth/McKeesport PA to Iowa, Kansas, and Texas

Replies: 3

Webb family from Elizabeth/McKeesport PA to Iowa, Kansas, and Texas

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 10:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Webb, Sill, Sills, Canaday, Kennedy, Robinson
I'm looking for any information on Isaac Webb, his wife Jane Kennedy/Canaday, their son Isaac Webb and his wife Jane Sill/Sills (daughter of Jesse Sill/Sills and Eliza Robinson).

Isaac Webb (abt 1760-1844) was possibly a Quaker and MAY have been from the Webbs in Caln or Goshen (Chester County), Pennsylvania, but truthfully I am not sure where he is from. He shows up Elizabeth, Allegheny, PA in the 1810 Census and lived there until his death. I believe he was married to Jane Kennedy/Canaday (1767-1841), who likely died in Elizabeth, Allegheny, PA as well. They had a number of children: William, Jane, Abner, Rebecca, and Isaac Webb (my ancestor), as well as at least 1 boy and 1 girl whose names I don't know.

Their son, Isaac Webb (abt 1807 - ???) married Jane Sill/Sills (abt 1811 - ???) (I think). She was the daughter I think of Jesse Sill/Sills (1782-1857) and Eliza Robinson (1782-1860).

Isaac Webb (1807-??) and Jane had at least 3 children: Abner Webb (1835-abt 1862, my ancestor), Jesse Sill Webb (1836-1923), and Elizabeth Webb (1839-??).

In the 1840 Census Isaac Webb (1807) and Jane lived in Muddy Creek, Butler, PA, the county north of Allegheny. A year prior Isaac had purchased 202.42 acres there. But by the 1850 Census he was living in McKeesport, Allegheny, PA as a laborer. I find no further record of Isaac or wife Jane after that time.

Daughter Elizabeth is in the 1860 Census living with her Aunt Ann Atwater and her children. Then Elizabeth disappears from any record I can find. She either died or married after that.

Isaac and Jane's sons Abner and Jesse went west, showing up in Fairview Township, Jones County, Iowa in 1856, with Abner marrying Mercy Anna Darling in Nov 1856, and Jesse Sill Webb marrying Mercy's sister Adelia Darling in Dec 1857 in the same county. By 1860 Abner Webb was living in McKinney, Collin, Texas as a carpenter (not sure where wife was). Family story has him being force-conscripted to fight for Texas during the Civil War and dying of cholera. I find no evidence to support this, although it may very well have happened that way, but at any rate he does disappear from record after 1860.

Jesse Sill Webb was living with his family in Humboldt, Allen, Kansas by the 1860 Census (he lived in that county for the rest of his life). Unlike brother Abner, he fought for the North in the Civil War. In his obituary he was listed as being being baptized in the Presbyterian faith, which would be consistent with his Kennedy/Canaday ancestors.

The majority of Isaac Webb (1807) and Jane Sill's relatives seemed to have remained in the Elizabeth/McKeesport/Pittsburgh areas, with my 3rd great grandfather and 3rd great grand uncle being among the exceptions. I do not know if Isaac and Jane moved with their sons, but I think it is more likely they died before 1860.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
CManczuk 14 Jan 2013 5:15AM GMT 
CManczuk 13 Apr 2013 8:00PM GMT 
Tressie625 1 May 2013 4:59AM GMT 
CManczuk 24 Sep 2013 5:22AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic