Search for content in message boards

Delila Welch m William Sims c1802 SC

Replies: 0

Delila Welch m William Sims c1802 SC

Nancy Young (View posts)
Posted: 22 Nov 2004 1:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sims/Simms, Welch, Jones
Delila is my 4-great grandmother, and I have been unable to locate any information about her ancestry. She was born around 1784-5, probably in South Carolina. About 1805, Delila & William (along with related Sims, Spillars, Earnests & Kelleys) sold their land in South Carolina, and moved to Kentucky, where they lived for about 10 years in Caldwell/Barren/Logan counties. Then they moved further west to Illinois in 1815, and by about 1823, they settled near Springfield, in Sangamon County IL.

My research suggests that when the family left SC around 1805, part of the Sims and related families went south to Georgia and possibly further to Alabama & Mississippi, while others went to Kentucky/Tennessee. Part of the Tennessee Sims clan went to northern Alabama, where they squatted on Indian land (known as the Sims Settlement).

William's Sims family was living in the Spartanburg SC area in the 1790 census. I have not found any Welch families in Spartanburg, but have found the following Welches (with female children) in neighboring districts:

Greenville (just 20 mi. from Spartanburg):
George Welch - 1 male over 16; 1 male under 16; 3 females

Orangeburg:
James Welch - 1 male over 16; 3 males under 16 and 4 females
John Welch - 1 male over 16; 5 females

When Delila & William moved west, they were accompanied by many related families (in-laws, cousins, brothers & sisters), and on the assumption that Delila's relatives were part of the group, I have found the following references:

Barren Co. KY:

Land Grants:
David Welch, 54 acres on Line Cr., surveyed Nov 1804
William Welch, 200 acres on Beaver Creek, surveyed Aug 1799

Revolutionary War:
James Welch

Logan Co, KY:

1810 Census:
p191 - Herzias Welch
p188 - Nicholas Welch
p172 - Orias (Ozias?) Welch
p196 - Thomas Welch

1820 Census:
Madison Co, IL: Six Mile Prairie Twp - Enoch Welch
Madison Co, IL: Alton - William Welch
St. Clair Co, IL: Chambers Twp - Andrew Welch
Washington Co, IL: Sugar Creek - John Welch (William & Delila are enumerated on the next page)

Early IL land records in nearby counties (all of these purchases were made with military land warrants):

John Welch, Warren Co (many of Delila & William's children settled in this area)
Nicholas Welch, Schuyler Co
Michael Welch, Peoria Co

Feb- William Welch, Knox Co (many of Delila & William's children settled in this area)
Mar- James Welch, Warren Co
Aug- William Welch, Warren Co
Nov- Walter Welch, Warren Co

The only other clues are naming conventions, which are not very reliable. Delila & William named their firstborn female child Jemima, suggesting that Delila's mother, or possibly grandmother, carried that name. Their secondborn male child was named Benjamin, suggesting that Delila's father or grandfather carried that name. Jemima Sims carried on the names, with one of her children named Delila and another named Jemimah. Other names that are common in this Sims family are George, William, David, Robert, Benjamin, Henry and John.

If anyone can give me any clues as to who Delila's parents or siblings might be, it would be greatly appreciated.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions