Search for content in message boards

West-Pamunkey Indians

Replies: 42

Re: West-Pamunkey Indians

Posted: 30 Aug 2010 1:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Tammy, you may have received your answer by now. I, too, thought at one time that my West line might have descended through John, the Indian, West, son of Col. John West of West Point VA and his mistress, the Pamunkey Indian Queen, Cockacoeskie. Col. John West was the son of Gov. John West of Colonial Virginia. Cockacoeskie's son, John West, accompanied his mother to the signing of the Middle Plantation Treaty in 1677. I visited the Pamunkey reservation museum in May 2010 and found the interpreter to be very guarded in answering my questions and provided little information concerning this John West even though she appeared to know about him. I have since learned that he may have married Eliabeth Rose and had several children including sons (possibly a Thomas, Robert, Benjamin, and Richard). He is cited in documents in Chowan County, NC. A copy of the 1713/19 will of a John West which mentions his wife Elizabeth Rose, may be found in the NC State Library and Archives, Raleigh. He is also named as John West (Indian) in the NC will of George Flemining, 1677-1701. This John, the Indian, West may be one referenced in family trees as Josiah John West. Hope this helps with your search.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
CharlotteWest... 30 Aug 2010 7:00PM GMT 
Ramontgomery3... 3 Nov 2013 1:34AM GMT 
Bevssurnames 13 Mar 2014 2:58AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions