Search for content in message boards

WHITE 1800's TN/AR/TX

Replies: 9

Re: WHITE 1800's TN/AR/TX

Patricia Grigg (View posts)
Posted: 28 Oct 2004 4:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
My grandfather's name was H. B. White or Hugh Burton (perhaps Boone) White. From what I understand he was nicknamed Whitey. H.B White and his twin brother (name unknown) were born, from what I've been told, in Talahassee, Tennessee in 1892. My grandfather died, I believe in December of 1942, supposingly in Tennessee. I've been told, before my mother's mind went, that one of his parents was Cherokee. I've also been told he and his twin were orphaned. I have no idea of the age he was when orphaned. He married Zela Baker about 1914 or 1916. Zela Baker was born in Alabama but moved with her family to Galveston, Texas while still single. My mother was their oldest and was born in Alabama in 1917. All of her younger siblings were born in Galveston, Texas. I have no idea if Hugh met Zela in Galveston, Texas or not. But her family lived in Galveston while she was single so it seems likely. Also there was one relative that seemed to think the Baker family took H. B. White in while he was still a youth and then he fell for Zela and married her. That I can't find any record about though. Nor can I find Hugh before he was married to my grandmother Zela. The children of Hugh and Zela White are Alpha Elizabeth White b. 1917, John Thomas White b. 1920, Joseph Alexander White b. 1923, Margaret Carol White b. 1923, Hugh Burton White b. 1925, Zela Ardella White b. 1928, Harry Fletcher White b. 1930, and Glory Ann White b. 1932.

H. B. White died while in his fifties, I've been told, of a heartattack right at Christmas. Zela, his wife, died of breast cancer. Of the children John Thomas White died of typhoid fever as a child. Harry Fletcher White died when 28 of cancer, Joseph Alexander White died in a boating accident, I think. Hugh Burton Whte died of a heartattack. Margaret Carol White died of heart problems.

The three living sisters all have dementia to the point of not being able to give information on anything.

Your message subject caught my eye because of the TN/AR/TX. My grandfather was born in Tennesse, lived in Texas and his wife and children lived in Arkansas for many years while I was a child.

One more note: Before my mother's brain stopped working she said that the H. B. didn't stand for anything, still he is listed as Hugh in some of the census forms. One of my cousins said she was told the H. B. stood for Hugh Boone. Also my grandfather could not read or write so that may account for some of the lack of records on him.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jpe51 5 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT 
ccfranks 27 Oct 2004 7:27PM GMT 
Patricia Grigg 28 Oct 2004 1:00PM GMT 
ccfranks 28 Oct 2004 2:44PM GMT 
Sherrell 28 Oct 2004 7:11PM GMT 
Patricia Grigg 28 Oct 2004 10:51PM GMT 
ccfranks 29 Oct 2004 2:08PM GMT 
Patricia Grigg 30 Oct 2004 11:39AM GMT 
crystalynnlee 3 Jun 2013 6:37PM GMT 
Faye Reynolds 27 Apr 2005 4:58AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions