Search for content in message boards

Whitney, I am

Replies: 5

Whitney, I am

Posted: 31 Aug 2009 8:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Whitney/Speer
Hi,

I'm researching my Whitney family here in Texas. I have ran into a major brick wall.

Where do I start...

I am a great-grandson of Charles Glenn Whitney, the father's name on Charles Glenn's death certificate is John Whitney. The mother is listed as Mandie Spear.

I have came across many errors, things that just don't jive. It is easily found here on ancestry.com, as well a rootsweb that Charles Glenns father is Zachery Whitney, but there is no evidence to support that his name was Zackery. It was just pulled out of thin air I guess. There's a lot more I can explain, should this thread become active.

I phoned a distant cousin, and I asked him if he knew the name of the father of his grandad Walter. He said rather quickly that his name was John. Walter Lee, Charles Glenn have the same parents listed on their death certificates. There is minor variation in the spelling of the mothers name, Walter - Amanda Speer, Charles Glenn - Mandie Spear. There is another brother John Brady, his death certificate has a different mother (Sarah LNU), but all three boys have the same name for the father listed.

There are three sisters, Mary, Rosie, and Era.

I haven't been able to find anything about Mary past the 1900 census. She either died or married off by 1910. Married to whom I have no idea, nor have I found.

Rosie Whitney married John Marcus Tew. Rosie gave birth to a girl Jewel Jan 10, 1909. Thirteen days later she is dead.
According to the source mentioned below, she died in a county 300+ miles away thirteen day later only to be brought right back to be buried in Titus county, TX... does not make any sense to me.

Era Whitney I have found in the 1920 census, under the married name Era Renfroe. That's the last I have found of her.

Heres the deal. I am trying to find out more about the "John" Whitney. The cousin I talked to on the phone says that he, and his aunt did this research about 1980.

He said that his aunt Grace found out that John Whitney got in with the wrong crowd, and got caught cattle rustling. He was thrown in a jail. He said he thought the place was Pauls Valley Oklahoma. He goes onto say that John Whitney died there, in the jail cell. His aunt is now dead, and he doesn't know where anything she may have wrote down about it all would be...

I believe the John H. Whitney, and Amanda A. Whitney listed in the 1880 census of Franklin county, Texas are my ancestors. John's father was reportedly born in Missouri, and his mother was born in Arkansas.

We all know the 1890 census was destroyed. By 1900 John, and Amanda are nowhere to be found. All of their six children are living with other families, but not too far apart from each other in the Talco, Texas area.

If anyone knows my Whitneys or have looked them up, they will find stories on pages belonging to the TEW/VANNORTWICK clan.

There are several versions of what has been claimed to have happened to John, and Amanda, but someone can't keep their story straight.

There are a lot of Whitney's in Lamar county, Texas, which is just north of Titus county, and Franklin county where my folks lived. None of the few living Whitney's in my family know anything about them.

I hope someone can help bring new light to this.

Thanks,

Grady Whitney
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Grady Whitney 1 Sep 2009 2:35AM GMT 
mudcgrant 3 Sep 2009 12:53AM GMT 
BettyHH55 23 Dec 2009 2:39PM GMT 
ShirleyWalter... 9 May 2011 5:22PM GMT 
Grady Whitney 9 May 2011 11:08PM GMT 
Grady Whitney 9 May 2011 11:14PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions