Search for content in message boards

Emaline Wilhoit

Replies: 3

Re: Emaline Wilhoit

Posted: 7 Mar 2009 6:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WILHOIT, WILLHOIT, WILHITE, WILHOITE, WILLHOITE
Judy, this is one WILHOIT/WILHITE branch of the tree that I have absolutely nothing on. Rootsweb has only two databases for Emaline and neither has any ancestry for her other than a John WILHOIT and no further ancestors.

At Ancestry, there are some databases that show Emaline as daughter of John W. or Joshua W. WILHOIT and Jane ? or Jane ELKINS; however, I do not trust those databases since they have Jane born about 1806 and having children before she was 14 years old. They also have Jane 26 years younger than her husband.

Other databases have Emaline as the daughter of Solomon WILHOIT, JR., and Jane ? or Jane ELKINS WITH Emaline being about 17 when her first child was born.

But, before sending the above I did a search in the 1850 Census for Missouri. Got a great hit for Nodaway Township, Andrew Co.!

Jane WILHOIT is head of household; no male in family except for Solomon, age 10. (I assume that's Solomon, III.) This would be enough for me to think that Jane's husband had been Solomon WILHOIT, Jr. The dates and places fit exactly. Below is the data from that Census Report:

1850 U. S. Census, MO, Andrew Co., Nodaway Co., p.49, 18 Sep 1850:

WILLHOIT, Jane-age 44-Female-b. VA
WILLHOIT, Susan-age 23-Female-b. TN
WILLHOIT, Katharine-age 21-Female-b. TN
WILLHOIT, Francis-age 20-Female-b. TN
WILLHOIT, Polly A.-age 17-Female-b. TN
WILLHOIT, Emaline-age 15-Female-b. TN
WILLHOIT, Elanor-age 12-Female-b. TN
WILLHOIT, Solomon-age 10-Male-b. TN
WILLHOIT, Jane-age 8-Female-b. TN

But... you say that you "know" that John, born VA, is her father, so that means Jane was not married to Solomon I thought might be her husband.

What's really hanging me up is that the databases that show Jane married to a John W. or Joshua W. WILHOIT, and those that show married to Solomon WILHOIT, Jr., all show the same exact dates and places for both men, and for Jane. That is just too much of a coincidence for me. IMHO these two families could be the same but I can't figure out how anyone confused John (or Joshua) with Solomon.

If you could give us the known names and dates of Emaline's siblings, it would go a long way in solving this mystery. (BTW, could Emaline have been her middle name?)

Here are some notes from my Census search at Ancestry:

I found no one named Emaline (or Emma, or Emily) WILHOIT or WILLHOIT or WILHITE or WILLHITE or WILHOITE born within 5 years either side of 1834 ANYWHERE in the US in 1850, except for the Emaline above.

In the 1850 Census, I found no Solomon WILHOIT, or WILLHOIT, or WILHITE, or WILLHITE, born around 1795, give or take 10 years, which backs up my belief that the Solomon WILHOIT, Jr., married to Jane ELKINS had died before 1850.

I can find no James or Joshua in the 1850 Census that would fit your John.

Actually, it would have saved me a lot of time if you had included some very pertinent information in the beginning. For instance, where did John and Emaline die? When? Giving us the information on the death certificate would have helped too.

As to John's father being Aaron WILHOITE from VA, I can find no Aaron with any surname spelling, with a son John that would fit yours.

Moving on, I did a search for William WHITE in the Census. First try got me almost 40,000 hits! Try again. This time I found your William WHITE and "Emiline" in the 1860 Census for Nodaway, Andrew Co., MO. I'm assuming he was about the same age as "Emaline", but am not sure since you gave absolutely no information on him. (Again, when making requests, give all the data you have. Don't "shotgun" it.)

In the 1870 Census for Lincoln, Andrew Co., MO, I again find William WHITE and "Emeline" (notice yet another spelling of her name), both of the correct age. Children listed are:

Elizabeth J.-age 10
John R.-age 8
Mary M.-age 6
William B.-age 3
Warren E.-age 1

Are these the children of your William and "Emaline"?

In any case, the age for Emaline (various spellings) fits in the 1850, 1860, and 1870 Census Reports, and the town, county, and state fit the Emaline I found in the 1850 Census. Going back now and looking for "Emiline" and "Emeline" (note the different spelling).

OK, I'm back. I searched for "Emiline" and "Emeline" with a half dozen common variations of the WILHOIT/WILHITE surname and got NO HITS other than the "Emaline" in the 1850 Census mentioned above.

I'm sure we have Emaline's mother nailed down, now we just need to find the father.

Would it be possible for you to send me a graphics copy of Emaline's death certificate? Scan it and attach to an email? Also ALL the data you have. All dates, places, siblings, children, parents, etc.

Will continue to search for your elusive "John".

Sarge
GermannaResearch@comcast.net
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
scottishrose5... 30 Apr 2008 8:05PM GMT 
George Durman 8 Mar 2009 1:49AM GMT 
George Durman 8 Mar 2009 1:55AM GMT 
George Durman 8 Mar 2009 1:57AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions