Search for content in message boards

Willoughby's of Kentucky

Replies: 49

Re: Willoughby's of Virginia

Posted: 1 Dec 2009 10:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
My direct paternal line (proven through DNA testing and confirmed by the officers of the Chandler Family Association) is to Robert Chandler who is presumed (all available evidence points to it) to have been the grandson of John Chandler listed as a servant of Thomas Willoughby in a Muster of Elizabeth City, Virginia. This is what I have on Thomas Willoughby (trying any leads to find info on my John actually)

From The Original Lists of Persons of Quality, 1600-1700 by John Camden Hotten

1624/1625 (exact date not listed)

Elizabeth City

Ensigne Thomas Willoby his Muster
Thomas Willoby aged 23 in the "Prosporouse" 1610
Servants:
John Chaundler aged 24 in the "Hercules" 1609
Thomas aged 20 in the "greate hopewell" 1623
Robert Bennett aged 24 in the "Jacob" 1624
Niccolas Davis aged 13 in the "Mariegould" 1615

In the previous 'census' there are the following listed in order (in the same household?)

A List of the Names of the Living in Virginia
february the 16 1623

more at Elizabeth Cittie
Thomas Willowbey
Oliuer Jenkinson
John Chandeler
Nicholas Davies
Jone Jenkins
Mary Jenkins

Patents Granted &c

The Corporacon of Elizabeth Cittie
Tho: Willowsaby about 2 miles within the mouth of Pemonkey River -- 200 Acres, by order of Court

On ye South Side of the maine River against Elizabeth Cittie

Thomas Willoughbye -- 100 Acres -- by pattent

From The Complete Book of Emigrants, 1607-1660 by Peter Wilson Coldham

6 July 1626
Petition of Captain John Preen of London, merchant, for a warrant to enable him to proceed in the "Peter and John" to Virginia with his people. Examinations of John Preen, a passenger Thomas Willoughby and John Pollington who declare that the only intention of the voyage is to carry passengers and goods to Virginia.

26 May 1634
To the Governor of Virginia.
William and Thomas Willoby, Symon Turgus, Humphrey and Thomas Farley, William and Stephen Barker, Thomas Browne, William Ewins and Richard Ware, planters, have represented to us that, having maintained families in Virginia for several years, they fear to lose from the appointment of Morris Thompson as sole shipper.

1649 -- Various dates
Administrations granted in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury:

Thomas Willoughby of Southwark, Surrey, who died at Barbados.

23 Jan 1651 [last date]
Depositions by Captain Thomas Willoughby of Willoughby's Hope, Norfolk Co., Virginia, aged 52, Richard Jennings of Bermuda, merchant aged 51, and others re the voyage in 1649 of the "Jonathan and Abigail", Mr. Adam Groves, to Barbados and Virginia. The ship's poor condition and lack of provisions caused the death of 36 passengers who might have fetched 5 hundredweight of sugar had they reached Barbados alive.

April 1657
Administration of Thomas Willoughby of Virginia who died at All Hallows, Barking, London

From Virginia Immigrants and Adventurers, 1607-1635: A Biographical Dictionary by Martha W. McCartney

"In 1617-18, deputy-governor Sir Samuel Argall gave [Thomas] Willoughby some land in Elizabeth City on the east side of the Hampton River, acreage on which he built a home. When Governor George Yeardley arrived in April 1619 and commenced implementing the Virginia Company's instructions, the territory in which Thomas Willoughby and his neighbors had become established was designated Company Land. On June 19, 1622, Willoughby claimed that Yeardley had evicted him from his homestead and that he had received no compensation."

"In December 1625 Willoughby received a court order confirming his 200 acres on the Pamunkey River, which he had seven years to seat."

"He went to England in 1626 and made plans to bring goods and passengers to Virginia on the "Peter and John". When Willoughby returned in 1627, he led an expedition against the Chesapeake Indians. In mid-November 1628 he claimed 50 acres on the north side of the James River and west of the Hampton River, bordering Salford's Creek -- land that Captain William Tucker previously had owned."

"In March 1629, Lieutenant Thomas Willoughby was made commander of the area from Marie's Mount or Newporte News to Captain William Tucker's and he was named a commissioner of Elizabeth City's monthly court. In that capacity he ordered the auctioning of the late George Shorton's goods. Willoughby also appeared before the General Court so that he could settle a dispute with one of his own servants."

"In April 1629 he was among those who asked that their parish, which had been subdivided, be restored to its former size. He became a burgess for the upper part of Elizabeth City and in that capacity inspected the fort built at Old Point Comfort. Two years later he served as burgess for the area from Water's Creek (now Lake Maury) to the limits of the upper parish of Elizabeth City."

"By November 1635 Willoughby had built a home on his property on the south side of the James River and had acquired some adjacent acreage."

"He went to England around 1644-47, and when his son, Thomas II, was admitted to the Merchant Taylor's School, the elder Thomas identified himself as a merchant of Red Lyon Alley, St. Botolph, London. However, he made Lower Norfolk County, Virginia, his permanent home, calling his plantation, "Willoughby's Hope." "

"When Thomas Willoughby was deposed in November 1650, he indicated that he was age 52 and had lived in Virginia for 39 years. A patent he secured in 1654 used the headrights of his son, Thomas; daughter, Elizabeth; and Alice Willoughby, probably Thomas's wife."

"Willoughby died while visiting All Hallows, Barking, in London, and in April 1657 his nephew, Thomas Middleton, was named administrator."

The first documentation we have of our John Chandler was when he was listed as living in Elizabeth City, presumably as a servant of Thomas Willoughby. The next documentation we have of him is when he is listed definitely as a servant of Thomas Willoughby in Elizabeth City, Virginia. After that there is NO known documentation of John Chandler until the following:

From the Chandler Family Association newsletter March 1993 article entitled, "Chandler: The First Generation"

"Land Patent of Sept. 7) 1632 to John Arundell "of the Back River within the Corp. of Elizabeth City...lying at the said Back River...(adjacent to) land of Bartholomew Hoskins and land of Capt. Richard Stephens, now in the tenure of John Chandler, Planter [C & P, V I, p. 16, Nugent]"

So from 1624/25 to 1632/33 John basically disappears from the record. Is it possible that he was still associated with Thomas Willoughby and is he mentioned in any of the records wherein Thomas Willoughby is mentioned? Did John Chandler accompany Thomas on the voyage to England and then back to Virgina carrying goods and passengers? Was John Chandler also on a ship that wrecked in the Barbados? Was John Chandler with Thomas on his campaign against the Chesapeake Indians?

The CFA has collected quite a bit on John Chandler from 1632 forward. John, like Thomas, became a court justice and was in the house of burgesses.

It could be that elder members of the CFA have already looked into any records of Thomas to find John and found nothing. But I thought I would ask here to see if any Willoughby researchers might shed some light on this question.

I notice some asking about a Willoughby born in Tennessee. I live in Rutherford Co, TN myself and have several books for TN research for Davidson, Wilson, Rutherford and Sumner counties. I looked in books for early deeds and wills for Davidson and Wilson counties. There are no Willoughbys listed at all. Funny enough I find this listing in the following:

First Land Grants of Sumner County, TN, 1786-1833 by Timothy R. and Helen C. Marsh

Land Grant Genealogy of Sumner County, Tennessee, Book II, 1813-1833

Page 160 -- State of Tennessee No. 10890
By virtue of part of certificate No. 96? Dated 25 July 1807 issued to George Gillespie and entered 9 November 1815 by No. 15983. There is granted by the State of Tennessee unto George Gillespie a tract of land containing 130 acres dated 25 February 1816 lying in Sumner County in First District on the waters of Bledsoe Creek. Beginning on William Willoughby's north boundary line and John Crenshaw's north west corner, north 100 poles in the south boundary of Maberry's (?) east and past the said Maberry's corner at 120 poles in all 208 poles, south 100 poles to top of a hill, west 208 poles to beginning. This (illegible)

(illegible)
Jos. McMinn
Reg: (illegible) 1820

I have a Rutherford County Tennessee Pioneers Born Before 1800. Pioneers listed alphabetically. There are no Willoughbys listed in the book at all.

Not sure who the William Willoughby of Sumner County may have been. I have three fishing atlases of Tennessee. The map for middle Tennessee shows the location of Bledsoe Creek which has several branches (possibly Leaths Branch, Phillips Hollow Branch, Hicks Hollow Branch) just over the eastern Sumner county line in neighboring Macon county just north of the corner where Sumner, Macon and Trousdale counties meet.

From there Bledsoe Creek meanders through Sumner County roughly following Phillips Hollow Road west until it comes to Highway 231 then the creek veers sharply southwest and continues in that direction until it empties into Old Hickory Lake (obviously a part of Bledsoe Creek which has been artificially created) and then into the huge Cumberland River which forms part of the southern county line of Sumner County with Wilson County.

So apparently a William Willoughby possibly once resided (or at least owned land) in what is now (and what was then) Sumner County, Tennessee.

Ancestry's Red Book gives the following information for Sumner County, Tennessee:

Formed 1786 from Davidson County (when it was still part of North Carolina -- statehood granted in 1796)

Sumner County Court House
Gallatin, Tennessee 37066

Court records dating back to 1785
Land and Marriage records dating back to 1787
Probate records dating back to 1788
Birth and Death records dating back to 1881

Census Records information for that area of Sumner County, Tennessee

1790 -- Officially no records of a federal census for what is now Tennessee. I have seen indications by one genealogist (not verified by me) that census records of Ohio actually include some census records of what is now Tennessee which was called at the time, "The Territory South of the Ohio River".

By direction of the territorial governor, militia captains took a census in July, 1791 in Tennessee. Some of these records are available.

1800 -- Federal census lost for ALL counties

1810 -- Federal census lost for ALL counties except Rutherford.

1820 - 1930 (excluding of course 1890) Federal census available for Sumner County.

Happy Hunting

Barry Jernigan
Smyrna, Rutherford County, Tennessee, USA
Participant of the Chandler Family Association DNA Y-chromosome project Kit # 109219 in Group 7A (probable direct male line descendants of John Chandler of 1610 -- servant of Thomas Willoughby)

PS There are more Willoughbys mentioned in both Hotten's and Coldham's books. And also in McCartney's book. And of course the Virginia Historical Index has a whole section on the surname Willoughby. If it's available at your local library, you might check it out and look for the articles indexed in it.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jomillersmith 22 Apr 2007 6:12AM GMT 
offmyrocker2 27 Apr 2007 12:46AM GMT 
jomillersmith 27 Apr 2007 2:51AM GMT 
WILLOUGHBY KE... 28 Apr 2007 1:40AM GMT 
offmyrocker2 28 Apr 2007 8:51PM GMT 
BJernigan6859 2 Dec 2009 5:29AM GMT 
offmyrocker2 27 Apr 2007 12:52AM GMT 
WILLOUGHBY KE... 28 Apr 2007 1:49AM GMT 
WILLOUGHBY KE... 28 Apr 2007 1:50AM GMT 
offmyrocker2 28 Apr 2007 8:55PM GMT 
per page