Search for content in message boards

Wilson Native American Heritage

Replies: 3

Re: Wilson Native American Heritage

Posted: 18 Oct 2006 8:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wilson, Todd, Morris, Trout, Hopper
Hi Christy!

I have no idea if our families are related, but just thought I would tell you about finding my Native American connection. It was a family story that we had some, but I wasn't sure what family it came thru and what tribe. I asked my father, who is now in his 80's and he said they were Cherokee and thru his mother's family the Todds. So, as advised by the lady that was the head of the genealogy department at our library, I researched them thru census records, and marriage records back as far as I could. Also, someone in the extended family said that one of Daddy's first cousins had written a book on the Todd and Wilson families, so I found her and sent for a copy. She is 99 years old now and just recently had to go into a care home. She tells in her book that most of her info is from interviews with older relatives and from letters that she wrote and so forth for many years. In her book, she said that her grandmother Todd was a Morris, and her mother was a Trout, from GA, so I followed those census records to where they lived, which was near where the last Cherokee Capital in the East was, before the removal (Trail of Tears, c. 1835), and also found some claims where her grandmother and about 20 more descendants claimed in the last rolls, which were in about 1906-8, and can be found in some libraries typed into book forms called "Cherokee by Blood". In that roll, they were rejected because of conflicting information, and so forth. All of the claims were rejected based on an aunts claim. She first claimed in the Trout name, which was wrong, because James Trout was of German descent, but he married Annie Hopper, who was the daughter of Ash Hopper, who was a Cherokee, full blood, that I found in a roll that was taken right before the removal, and also in a book called Georgia Planters. It said that Ash Hopper lived on Pea Vine Creek in N. GA and his 16 acre farm and improvements, (most were living in log cabins, etc. by then), was taken by a white man, when Ash Hopper went to Hamilton Co., TN for the winter. Which was still part of the Cherokee nation at that time. It said he was a full blood and had a wife and two daughters.

Anyway, although their claim was rejected, I feel that this is indeed my family, and I sent what I had to a group called Daughters of the Indian Wars, to see if I could find a member that might help me connect my family with more proof. They were not able to help me any with my plight, but they did offer me membership on what documentation that I sent them copies of.

So, the best way to find your info is in the census records and then thru the Indian Rolls. Some of the local libraries have census records for many states, and if not there might be a National Archives in your area or a State Archive that migth have some of these records in their collections.

Good luck in finding your ancestry.

N. Bible

PS. My GGGrandma Todd was Lucinda Wilson from SC, and she married John Todd, and they left Anderson Co. SC about 1850s and went to Paulding Co., GA, by 1960. John died of a heat stroke around 1863, and Lucinda remained there with her children until after 1870. She sold her land the same day that one of her son-in-laws sold his and the all headed to what is now Lamar Co., AL. I descend thru their son Jonathan Criswell "Stokley" Todd and his wife, Missouri Palestine "Pallie" Morris. They moved on over into Itawamba Co., MS about 1900 and in that area are still many of their descendants.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Christy Holliman Todd 7 Mar 2001 3:15PM GMT 
CookieWilk 10 Mar 2001 2:20PM GMT 
1_connie75 22 Sep 2011 2:00PM GMT 
nbible51 19 Oct 2006 2:19AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions