Search for content in message boards

Elias Wilson, 1600's, Virginia

Replies: 4

Elias Wilson, 1600's, Virginia

Gordon Bonnet (View posts)
Posted: 13 Aug 2002 5:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wilson, Newman
I am trying to document information on my ancestor, Elias Wilson, who died in Richmond VA in 1698.

First, sources don't agree as to his birthdate. They seem to be about equally split between 1630, and 1643. Which is correct, and how is it documented?

Secondly, I have seen various women listed as his wife. She seems to have been a Susannah ______, as this woman is listed in Elias' will. Some sources say she was Susannah Jacobus, daughter of Angell Jacobus, but this is not possible -- or at least, Susannah Jacobus can't be the mother of Elias' children. For example, my forebear Bridgett (Wilson) Newman was b. ca. 1650, and Angell Jacobus (who would be her grandfather) wasn't even born himself until 1655!

It is possible that the Susannah mentioned in the will is a second marriage, however.

Another, different set of sources say that Elias Wilson was married to Peggy Buckley. Again, this can't be the mother of Elias' children, as the marriage bond between Elias Wilson and Peggy Buckley is dated January 1698 -- the year Elias died. More likely is that Peggy Buckley married, as his first wife, Elias Wilson Jr., who remarried to Mrs. Mary Land Mountjoy at a later date.

So... who was Elias Wilson's wife, and the mother of his children?

Also, some sources say that Elias Wilson was the son of Henry Wilson b. ca. 1620 and Sarah _____. This is possible if you accept a 1643 birthdate for Elias, but impossible if he was born in 1630. Is this information (Henry being Elias' father) a supposition, or is it documented somewhere? If so, where?

I would be very glad to correspond with anyone who has documented information on this family. I am happy to share what I have.

Cheers,

Gordon Bonnet
Trumansburg NY
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Gordon Bonnet 13 Aug 2002 11:53PM GMT 
missmaggie200... 19 Sep 2002 5:19AM GMT 
jmikewesq 22 Feb 2010 4:22PM GMT 
olclarke 13 Apr 2009 8:00PM GMT 
olclarke 13 Apr 2009 8:01PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions