John & Catharine WOOD - Hamden & Andes, Delaware County, New York

Replies: 0

John & Catharine WOOD - Hamden & Andes, Delaware County, New York

Posted: 23 Jan 2013 1:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Jan 2013 2:34PM GMT
Surnames: WOOD, SHAFER, SHAVER, BARNHART, VANDERMARK, BABCOCK, SLYTER,
Hello,

I am trying to find the ancestors of John WOOD, born about 1813 in Ulster County, New York, married to Catharine SHAVER/SHAFER or BARNHART, born about 1814 in Greene County, NY.

The first time John WOOD appears in census records is in Hamden, Delaware County in 1830. Next, he appears in Andes, Delaware County in 1850 and he owns a tavern (which one, I have yet to find out). Living with him are laborers living in house: James ADAMS (47), William JONES (25), John MULNIX (20), and Betsy HOOD (11). I do not know how Betsey is related, if at all.

After that, John appears in the 1860 census still living in Andes. The laborers are gone, but now living with the family is Elenor BARNHART, age 75. I do knot know if this is Catharine's aunt or mother. The BARNHART and SHAVER/SHAFER family are known to have married.

In the 1865 census, the WOOD family is still living in Andes, Elenor is gone (presumably deceased) and now living with them are nieces Mary & Joanna VANDERMARK.

By 1875 John WOOD is no longer in the census, and Catharine is a widow.

In 1880, Catharine is living in Middletown, Delaware county with her son, Marshall WOOD, Marshall's wife Ida F., and Susan SLYTER, Ida's mother.

John WOOD and Catharine had the following children:

Selena C. (WOOD) BABCOCK
Ann WOOD
Richard WOOD
Lorenzo D. WOOD
John D. WOOD
Frances WOOD
George R. WOOD
Marshall WOOD

Most of the children stayed in Delaware County - most staying in Andes, some in Middletown (Delaware County), and Union Grove and Shavertown (now underwater where the Pepacton Reservoir now is).

I do not have the marriage date for John & Catharine, but it's probably about 1832.

Does this sound like anyone's family? I seem to have hit a "brick wall" here, even tho there's copious amounts of information on their lives and their children's lives. I just can't figure out who John and Catharine's parents were.

Thanks!

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions