Search for content in message boards

anyone kin to my John WOOD?

Replies: 2

Re: anyone kin to my John WOOD?

Posted: 30 Oct 2013 9:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi James: I am related to your John Wood family. My gr-gr-grandfather is William Thadius Wood. As you see he is the last child born to John Wood and Elizabeth Cole Wood. I went to the National Archives and researched Thad's Civil War Records. He was wounded on the field of battle near Seven Pines, VA. He was taken prisoner, shipped to Central Park Hospital in NYC where his left leg was amputated below the knee. His medical records reflected that his family moved from Spartanburg, SC to Gwinnett County in 1845. I have researched the Hebron Baptist Church records as best I could. Luckily the church secy was into genealogy and took the records when they talked about throwing them away. John and Elizabeth are both buried in unmarked graves at the church cemetery. Several of their children are buried there as well. William Thadius is buried at Mount Moriah Baptist Church along with most of his children. When W T died, the local newspaper claimed on the front page: Our beloved Thad has died. He had a wooden leg (he could remove) and would ride in Veteran's Day Parades each year. Apparently he was a character.

As to the Cole's, Elizabeth is a daughter of Henry Cole of Spartanburg, SC who was a Revolutionary War soldier. I have been researching since the early 80's so I do have a lot. Like 10 boxes of notebooks. Someone on RootsWeb has a letter or something from the early 1900's that confirms that Elizabeth is Henry Cole's daughter. I see you have done the DNA. I ordered the DNA test but haven't done it yet.

Just let me know if you want to talk on the phone together. Shirley Wood Lanham
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
James Green 28 May 2013 8:50AM GMT 
James Green 28 May 2013 9:02AM GMT 
froggie60 31 Oct 2013 3:39AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic