Search for content in message boards

Woods of Vermont and Canada, also Ruiter, new discovery, and new challenge.

Replies: 0

Woods of Vermont and Canada, also Ruiter, new discovery, and new challenge.

Posted: 16 Sep 2013 9:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Woods
I know there are a few of us out there, and I have mentioned it to family, and created a family tree on my ipad using ancestry.com that shows this connection. It was the one big question I always had, when did the first Woods come to America? I believe I found the answer to that question. John Woods, on the Hopewell.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~blenderman...

Please check my data ... but I think that's it. That's at least our most likely suspect. I have been to Vermont and found records that prove the parents of Elias Woods, born in Rutland Vermont were Stephen and Silence Woods. Back to them it's 100 percent ... beyond that .. I'd say 95 percent.

But also, I was interested in anyone who might have done any research on the name Woods. regarding African Americans. It is a common black name, but that doesn't make any sense, because we were abolitionists. Frederick Moffat Woods fought for the Union out of Elgin, Illinois. I have a copy of his memoirs.

In his memoirs, he tells a story about how he snuck a black man north to freedom. Made him dress like a woman, apparently that would get you through. And then once past the line into freedom, my Great-great-grat grandfather wrote this man a pass. Signed his name Woods.

So, could it be, that the African American name Woods ... comes down to that one man, and his pass signed "F.M. Woods."

So, I am curious about records of slave owners named Woods that are not related ... and perhaps that's where it comes from. I'm not sure. But I sure would be proud if I could prove it was the story from F.M. Woods memoirs that started that as a common African American name.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions