Search for content in message boards

William G. Wood, died 1892, grandson of James Wood who died 1813 Orange Co VA

Replies: 0

William G. Wood, died 1892, grandson of James Wood who died 1813 Orange Co VA

Posted: 15 Nov 2013 1:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Per Orange Co VA death records, Wm G Wood, age 70, died Nov 22 1892. Informant was his wife CA Wood. His parents were shown as John and Sally Wood.
The 1821 marriage of John Wood and Sally Thompson, with bondsman Lewis Thompson, is recorded in Orange County. I believe John Wood to be the son of James Wood (wife Avarilla/Havariller/Ovarilla) who left a will in Orange Co in 1813 listing children Nancy Rennolds, Lucy White, Sally Wood, James Wood, Betsy Herndon, John Wood, Polly Wood, Dualey Wood, and Lucinda Herndon. The will is witnessed by Jeremiah White.
In the 1850 Greene County VA census Lewis Thompson 78 is listed in the household of Joel and Lucy Herndon. Per Herndon rootsweb trees, this is Joel and Lucy Quinn Herndon. Lucy Quinn is the daughter of Richard Quinn and Ann Wood. Ann Wood Quinn Rennolds is the Nancy Rennolds mentioned in the will of James Wood in 1813 (Ann Wood first married Richard Quinn and second Robert Rennolds). Joel Herndon, the head of household, is shown by Herndon researchers to be the twin brother of Henry Herndon who married Lucinda Wood, listed as Lucinda Herndon is the will of James Wood in 1813. It is also interesting that the Bird Snow listed in the household is shown on a rootsweb tree to be the father-in-law of Henry Snow. Henry Snow sold land to James Wood Jr, who married Sarah White, daughter of Jeremiah White, who witnessed the 1813 will of James Wood Sr.
In the 1860 Greene Co VA census, William Garland Wood and Catherine Ann Columbia Mitchell Wood are shown as:
WG Wood, age 32
CAC Wood, 28 (F)
JA Wood, 6 (M)
JB Wood, 5 (M)
IM Wood, 3 (F)
John Wood, 1 (M)
Listed next to them is Henry Herndon age 31, wife LA age 24, son TH age 11/12. I believe this Henry Herndon to be the son of Henry Herndon who married Lucinda Wood. This would be Wm G Wood's first cousin living next to him.
(NOTE - The William G. Wood listed in 1860 in Albemarle Co VA census is a different Wm G Wood)
Per rootsweb trees for Richard Quinn and Ann Wood, James Wood (the father of James Wood/Sarah White and John Wood/Sally Thompson) is shown as a DAR Patriot, ancestor # A132341, Service: Virginia, Rank: Militia, Birth: circa 1747 Spotsylvania Co VA, Death: (ante) 24 May 1813 Orange Co VA, Service Description: 1) Orange Co, Mil: signed petition 2/27/1781, 2) supplied 8 1/2 bushels of corn + pasture. Spotsylvania records (guardian bonds 1861) indicate James Wood is the son of John Wood who died 1n 1753 (wife Margaret Clayton). Land records indicate to me that this John Wood came from Essex County VA (his occupation is shown as "tailor" on both a Spotsylvania deed and an Essex deed). The associations in Essex seem to be with people living on Occupacia Creek in Essex, and I think he could be the grandson of John and Abigail Wood, mentioned in the 1701 will of John Wood as his grandson John Wood, son of his son Henry Wood deceased
NOTE - Many rootsweb trees incorrectly show the James Wood who married Sarah White as the son of Hopewell Wood who also left a will in Orange Co.
Also note that there is a John Wood (b. about 1792) listed in the 1850 and 1860 Orange Co VA censuses with a son Clark Wood. This John Wood is a close neighbor of Sarah Wood (widow of James Wood Jr), Isabella Osborn (in 1860), the Herndons etc. He died in 1863 and there was an 1864 division of property. To me he appears to be the John Wood who married Sarah Thompson, but general consensus (it seems among Albemarle Co Wood researchers) is that he is a John Wood Jr, son of John Wood and Elizabeth Sunderland.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions