My husband is descended from Cornelius WOOD and Mary DURBIDGE who married 7 Feb 1785 at Wantage, Berkshire. I'm still trying to discover who Cornelius's parents were, but I know he had a brother named Thomas WOOD, who farmed at nearby Charlton, Berkshire, and Cornelius went to live with him after Mary died [source 1841 census].
Cornelius WOOD and Mary DURBIDGE had at least five children:
1. Edward WOOD, b. 1785, Wantage
2. Ann WOOD, b. 1788, Wantage (married William ROACH, 1811, Letcombe Regis, Berkshire)
3. Mary WOOD, b. 1790, Wantage (married Robert BECKLEY, 1807, Wantage)
4. John WOOD, b. 1808, Wantage
They also had a son:
5. William WOOD, whose baptism/birth I haven't yet managed to isolate. He was a Linen Weaver by trade, and at some point he re-located to Aberdeen, Scotland (presumably because there were better job opportunities up there).
William WOOD married Mary MILNE on 24 Mar 1826 at Old Machar, Aberdeen, and they had at least four children:
1. Mary WOOD, born circa 1826, Aberdeen (possibly the Mary WOOD baptized 16 Aug 1827, Old Machar). Married Edmund HAINES, 15 Jan 1845, Wantage, Berkshire - later lived in London.
2. Ann WOOD, bap. 6 Nov 1827, Old Machar
3. Harriet WOOD, bap. 21 Apr 1830, Wantage, Berkshire
4. Cornelius "Neil" WOOD, bap. 31 Aug 1834, Wantage, Berkshire; died 12 Feb 1907, St Nicholas, Aberdeen. Occupation: Master Shoemaker. Married his first wife, Isabella TAYLOR, 15 Sep 1854, Old Machar, Aberdeen, and they had at least five children:
a) Harriet WOOD, b. 12 Mar 1855, St Nicholas, Aberdeen
b) Cornelius William WOOD, b. 20 Dec 1856, St Nicholas, Aberdeen [twin]
c) Isabella Margaret WOOD, b. 20 Dec 1856, St Nicholas, Aberdeen [twin]
d) Ann WOOD, b. 30 Nov 1858, St Nicholas, Aberdeen
e) Williamina WOOD, b. 4 Dec 1860, Old Machar, Aberdeen.
Cornelius "Neil" WOOD also appears to have fathered a child out of wedlock with a Jane MILNE or EDMOND:
a) Cornelius WOOD, b. 15 Jan 1864, St Nicholas, Aberdeen. Occupation 1881: Labourer residing at 17, Wales Street, Aberdeen
Cornelius "Neil" WOOD married his second wife, Isabella BRUCE (widow of John CUMMING) on 5 Sep 1896, Old Machar, Aberdeen.
Other than the above details, I also have an old letter (dated Feb 1837) from William and Mary WOOD to their young daughter Mary (who was staying with relatives in England at the time). It isn't clear who wrote the letter - it could have been William WOOD or Mary MILNE - but the letter may contain possible clues to other WOOD family members, as it speaks of: "my Brother Thomas is working at the loom and enjoys good health and likewise his Family and my Sister Patience and her husband is in good health and her husband works in the Shop with me John Junior her son is at the Island of Malta but for my Brother John we have had no acounts of now we cannot get any at all" and also "your little Sister Harriet is at Bervie about 25 miles from us Harriet Jamieson and her husband came to see us and took her along with them for a few Months".
Does anyone have any links to the above? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated, and I'm always happy to share the information I already have.